First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
I am trying to put together my first Partial mash recipe. I am looking to make a Milk Stout similar to Left Hands. These are the ingredients I currently have and was wondering if somebody could take a quick look and make sure this will make something similar to a Milk Stout. Is the Crystal necessary? Is 1lb 6 row enough? Thanks in advance, you guys really make this process more fun

42% 4lb Dark Dry Malt Extract

11% 1lb Milk Sugar (Lactose)

11% 1lb Chocolate Malt (US)

11% 1 lb Pale Malt, 6 Row, US

8% 12 oz Roasted Barley

7% 10 oz Flaked Oats

7% 10 oz Flaked Barley

5% 8 oz Crystal 80L

Either Cascade or Columbus

OG 1.064
SRM 44
ABV 6.3%

I'm not that familiar with the style, but just intuitively, 1 lb choc + 12 oz. roasted barley seems like too much roastiness.

A standard percentage for roasted barley is somewhere around 3-7% and most stout recipes I come across use about .5 lb. chocolate malt in a 5-gallon batch. Perhaps the lactose helps to balance these higher amounts, but still.

Also note that your OG, SRM, and ABV are all over the upper limits for the style, assuming you care about such things. I think you could get away with using 3 lbs. of DME rather than 4 and/or drop the crystal.

A standard percentage for roasted barley is somewhere around 3-7% and most stout recipes I come across use about .5 lb. chocolate malt in a 5-gallon batch. Perhaps the lactose helps to balance these higher amounts, but still.

Also note that your OG, SRM, and ABV are all over the upper limits for the style, assuming you care about such things. I think you could get away with using 3 lbs. of DME rather than 4 and/or drop the crystal.

Alright thanks, Ill look at dropping down the chocolate and the DME

Back