First Partial Mash, Short Boil, DMS Potential?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this was not an experiment.

On Saturday I tried my first BIAB and partial mash. While I was bringing my kettle to boil, I used a smaller kettle for mashing grains separately:

8 oz of 2 row
8 oz of crystal 40

I kept the grain kettle in the oven to help insulate it around 150 degrees. When I went to check on it, I noticed it had dropped significantly, then remembered I forgot to check the temp after adding the grains, so I likely didn't have a high enough strike temp. This led to a good 15 mins of trying to raise the temp and get it all worked out before I got it in the oven.

Long story short, my 60 min boil with extract/hops was nearly up by the time I added my mash liquid. This didn't dawn on me later how this could potentially be a DMS problem, but I boiled my mash for about 5 minutes, and whirlpooled for another 10.

I covered my kettle about 25 minutes after cutting the heat (natural cooling slow chill). The temp was 168% at that point.

My only question: how likely am I to have a lot of DMS in the final product.

The malt bill in total is 3.3 lb of LME and 1 pound of grains for a 3 gallon batch.

Thanks!

Not likely at all. DMS is really only a concern when using large amounts of very pale malt like pilsner. You only used 8 oz of 2 row so you'll be fine.

Not likely at all. DMS is really only a concern when using large amounts of very pale malt like pilsner. You only used 8 oz of 2 row so you'll be fine.
Thanks for the feedback. I was putting my nose to the airlock last night trying to catch a whiff, lol. Nothing but hops so far (it's a lighter pale ale).

Back