First Partial Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwc5

Reaction score
Im going to do my first partial mash and its also going to my first time kegging. Does this recipe need anything differnt? Its a APA from BYO that I changed a little bit.

American Pale Ale
5 Gallons, Partial Mash

Ingredients:

3lbs Light DME
3lb. two-row pale malt
1 lb. crystal malt
1 lb. cara-pils malt
2.5 oz. American Perle hops (6.5% alpha acid), for 75 min.
1.75 oz. Cascade hops (5.4% alpha acid), 0.75 oz. for 15 min., 0.5 oz. at end boil, 0.5 oz. dry hopped in secondary or keg
1 qt. Wyeast 1056

Step by Step:

Soak crushed grains in 1 gal. of 150° F water for one hour, then rinse with one gallon hot (170° F) water into kettle. Add malt extract and water to bring volume to 2.5 to 3 gals., depending on kettle size. Boil for 15 minutes. Add American Perle hops and boil an additional 60 minutes. Add 0.75 oz. Cascade hops and boil 15 minutes more. Add 0.5 oz. Cascade hops at end boil. Total boil is 90 minutes. Add wort to sufficient amount of pre-boiled, chilled water to bring volume to 5 gals.

Do I need to add more water to the mash tun? I have a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler.

I would use about 1 1/2 gallons for the mash and 2 1/2 for the sparge if you have room in your brew pot. You would end up with about 3 gallons or so of wort in the pot.
If you only use one gallon for the mash and sparge I'm afraid your efficiency will suffer because of a very thick mash and you will not rinse all of the sugars from the grain.
Good luck! :mug:

Back