First open fermentation / dunkleweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngson616

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks

Just gave my first shot at an open fermentation and Im hooked! Smells like a banana cream pie factory in my basement. I fermented in my bottling bucket with the lid off inside of my deep freezer controlled to 64 degrees for 60 hours. I cropped the top at 24 hours and collected yeast at 48 hours, very active wyeast 3068 fermentation.

I transferred after 3 days (1.012 gravity) from my bottling bucket to a carboy for finishing. How long about should I have to sit in the carboy to clear out and finish?

I would think if your at gravity I’d bottle and carb. It is a dunkleweizen so I believe they generally are not that clear. And hefes are meant to be drank young anyway.

Also you can click the dots at the bottom left of your post and edit it as opposed to quoting and explaining the error.

I would think if your at gravity I’d bottle and carb. It is a dunkleweizen so I believe they generally are not that clear. And hefes are meant to be drank young anyway.
Yeah gravity seems right on target. I did many hefes before and only primary them and enjoy them hazy.

However being my first open ferment, I took note from videos and forums. Most transfer from the open fermenter to primary fermenter for X amount of days, never saw straight from open fermenter vessel to bottle. Maybe just a minor window of a few days to let the yeast finish up?

Also you can click the dots at the bottom left of your post and edit it as opposed to quoting and explaining the error.
Thanks for this! How do I say I dont know where the edit button is without saying I dont know where the edit button is? Lol!

Yeah gravity seems right on target. I did many hefes before and only primary them and enjoy them hazy.

However being my first open ferment, I took note from videos and forums. Most transfer from the open fermenter to primary fermenter for X amount of days, never saw straight from open fermenter vessel to bottle. Maybe just a minor window of a few days to let the yeast finish up?

Thanks for this! How do I say I dont know where the edit button is without saying I dont know where the edit button is? Lol!
I routinely go from open fermenter to keg. I do cover the open fermenter for a couple of days after the krausen begins to drop to displace the oxygen from it before I keg. So, as kegging is similar to bottling only bigger, I would say you could go directly to the bottles.

I open ferment all my beers and transfer them to secondary after 5 to 7 days, depending on the time I have. After that it depends a bit on the activity, bottling after a total fermentation of 2 to 3 weeks.

Well, open: covered with a cheese cloth.

My fermentation is practically over, zero airlock activity. Im bottling today

Attachments

• 20220912_184647.jpg
    20220912_184647.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Oh no what happened!?!! After transferring and mixing priming sugar for bottling I noticed it smells kinda sour....is it infected or something?? I always sanitize very well never had an issue and never tried this style before. Does dunkleweizen ever come out sour smelling???

At this point going forward
I routinely go from open fermenter to keg. I do cover the open fermenter for a couple of days after the krausen begins to drop to displace the oxygen from it before I keg. So, as kegging is similar to bottling only bigger, I would say you could go directly to the bottles.
This makes more sense opposed to what I just did. I just transferred twice essentially for no reason but open the door for contaminants. Ill try this next time!

I ferment my Hefe Weizens in a 15-gallon sterilite container I got from Wal Mart. The lid does not seal allowing the CO2 to escape. I drilled a hole in one end for a spigot.

I ferment on a bench (it's too big for my fermentation chamber). For temp control I use a blichman cooling coil hooked up to my jerry rigged cooler (a pond pump in a bucket of water in my fermentation chamber) Works like a charm. I ferment for about 10 days then bottle, no secondary. Personally I never keg a Hefe Weizen, they just taste better from the bottle with the yeast stirred up

I use Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast and that is the closest I have gotten to most of the Hefe Weizens I drank when I was staioned in Germany.

The brew turned out good! It had to sit for a few weeks but that off flavor went away. I think I figured it out, the priming sugar water was still a little warm yet when I mixed it with the beer, I think that caused initial sour odor. Anyways, very good dunkle now!

Attachments

• 20221004_180149.jpg
    20221004_180149.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back