First of the Season: Sierra Nevada Pale Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Just had my first 6-pack of Pale Bock, and I have to say it was pretty tasty. I enjoy the seasonal brews they have, breaks up the monotony. Plus, I can always tell what season it is by the beer on the shelves :) . One question though; on the bottle it says "Malt Liquor" and I'm not sure why. Is there a distillation process with a bock, or are they required to label it as such due to to having 7% ABV?

Not sure of the laws are there in Cali, but obviously that beer bears little resemblance to Colt 45. I'm sure beer has a cancer warning label on like everything else there. I believe that traditionally a malt is simply a higher gravity brew with more adjuncts to crank the alchohol without using very much hops at all. But some states require beer with higher alcohol to be called malts. Some states break down ales and lagers simply by alchohol content. I believe that why New Belgium's 1554 is called Black Ale, even though Lager yeast is used.

Back