First Nut Brown Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorO

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'll be attempting my first brown ale this weekend and would very much appreciate any feedback you might offer. Overall, I'm going for a drinkable beer that is somewhat sweet with a nice, full, nutty taste.

Batch size: 5.5 gallons (I have poor efficiency)
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.013 ABV: 5.1
SRM: 19
IBU: 25

10 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs Crystal 80
8 oz Victory
8 oz Biscuit
4 oz Chocolate
*8oz of roasted pecans during mash?*

1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 30 min

*Potentially Amended Grain Bill*
10 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Oats
1 lbs Crystal 80L
1 lbs Victory
4 oz Chocolate
2-4 oz Special B?

I've read some posts where others have suggested Munich Malt for residual sweetness - is this a necessity? What about Special B? Is the malt list too "muddy?" Also, does anyone have experience with pecans/other nuts in the brew process?

Thank you! :mug:

I might cut the Victory or the Biscuit. Both contribute bready flavor and aroma, and both might be too much. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Munich is nice, but I don't think it's necessary for this recipe. Pale Malt is moderately sweet on it's own.

As far as the nut character, you should be able to find pecan or walnut flavoring/extract at your local grocery store. I recently brewed a "nut" brown ale without any nut at all. I just toasted some malt in my oven, and added some vanilla extract at kegging to give it a nutty character.

Thank you! I had similar thoughts. Maybe I'll cut the Biscuit and boost Victory to 12 oz? As for the nutty character - I'm aware that "nut brown" doesn't actually entail the use of nuts. However, something about actually incorporating nuts appeals to me . . . maybe it's my 'purist' streak . . . haha. I'll do a bit more research on that topic.

Consider using some Special B. It's super malty and can give your recipe some malty pop. Be careful with the chocolate malt.

Also, consider trading out a couple pounds (1:1 swap) of Pale for Pearl, Maris Otter, or 6-Row. I think your victory and biscuit is fine.

It's a brown ale, so you want the malts to shine. Consider doing a 90 minute boil, and adding a flameout hop addition.

Also, consider taking a quart or so and boiling it down to a semi-syrupy consistency on the stove while your actual boil goes on. Once it's reduced a good bit, add it back to the boiling wort.

Supposedly, it causes carmelization and adds a good malty sweetness to the beer. I've heard of this technique used for Scotch Ales.

Thank you! I had similar thoughts. Maybe I'll cut the Biscuit and boost Victory to 12 oz? As for the nutty character - I'm aware that "nut brown" doesn't actually entail the use of nuts. However, something about actually incorporating nuts appeals to me . . . maybe it's my 'purist' streak . . . haha. I'll do a bit more research on that topic.

I think that's a fine call. Either way should be good, just depends which malt you prefer.

If you want to brew with nuts this article may help: https://byo.com/hops/item/2530-brewing-gone-nuts

If you want to try adding nutty flavors by using malt, you can roast them at home: http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

I've done an amber roast in my oven with good results. Bare in mind though, it's recommend letting the grains air out for about 2 weeks after roasting (before you brew with them).

10 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs Crystal 80
8 oz Victory
8 oz Biscuit
4 oz Chocolate
*8oz of roasted pecans during mash?*

1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 30 min:

Oats - yes or no. I'd say no, but, whatever you want.

Biscuit and Victory are basically the same. Reduce total of the two to .25 lbs.

C80 ozs ok, C120 is ok, Special B is ok , but each will give you a different beer. Keep amount down to .5 lbs.

4 is of choc is good.

Nuts .......... ???? ?

Consider using some Special B. It's super malty and can give your recipe some malty pop. Be careful with the chocolate malt.

Also, consider trading out a couple pounds (1:1 swap) of Pale for Pearl, Maris Otter, or 6-Row. I think your victory and biscuit is fine.

It's a brown ale, so you want the malts to shine. Consider doing a 90 minute boil, and adding a flameout hop addition.

I was planning for all Marris Otter as the base, but the local brew shop only has a few pound bags on hand. However, I might swap a few pounds out for the Pale as per your suggestion. I'll have to see if they have any Special B. Also, I like your hop suggestion. My third beer was a double IPA . . . being gentle with the hops and letting that malt really shine is a new skill I would like to hone. Thanks for the feedback!

I think that's a fine call. Either way should be good, just depends which malt you prefer.

If you want to brew with nuts this article may help: https://byo.com/hops/item/2530-brewing-gone-nuts

If you want to try adding nutty flavors by using malt, you can roast them at home: http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

I've done an amber roast in my oven with good results. Bare in mind though, it's recommend letting the grains air out for about 2 weeks after roasting (before you brew with them).

Thanks for the great resources! The article suggested roasting the pecans and including them in the mash - I'll probably follow this route.

Oats - yes or no. I'd say no, but, whatever you want.

Biscuit and Victory are basically the same. Reduce total of the two to .25 lbs.

C80 is ok, C120 is ok, Special B is ok , but each will give you a different beer. Keep amount down to .5 lbs.

4 is of choc is good.

Nuts .......... ???? ?

Nuts . . . well, just because I feel so inclined. The reasoning behind the oatmeal was that it might boost head retention, body, and, if I toast it, flavor.

I was planning for all Marris Otter as the base, but the local brew shop only has a few pound bags on hand. However, I might swap a few pounds out for the Pale as per your suggestion. I'll have to see if they have any Special B. Also, I like your hop suggestion. My third beer was a double IPA . . . being gentle with the hops and letting that malt really shine is a new skill I would like to hone. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the great resources! The article suggested roasting the pecans and including them in the mash - I'll probably follow this route.

Nuts . . . well, just because I feel so inclined. The reasoning behind the oatmeal was that it might boost head retention, body, and, if I toast it, flavor.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your recipe, I like putting oats in any beer that isn't hurt by additional body. The nuts in the mash is a little weird but there are people who do it with success. I can see the argument to pick either biscuit or victory, but it wouldn't hurt the beer if they both contribute similar character.

I like pale chocolate and special b for a brown ale but c80 and standard chocolate should be just as tasty.

I wouldn't recommend putting actual nuts in. Their oils aren't good for beer.

A small amount of Brown malt (~6oz) comes across as 'nutty' as does a larger amount of Amber malt (which is 'toasty' as well). Special B you have to be careful with to not end up with a burnt raisin brown :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with your recipe, I like putting oats in any beer that isn't hurt by additional body. The nuts in the mash is a little weird but there are people who do it with success. I can see the argument to pick either biscuit or victory, but it wouldn't hurt the beer if they both contribute similar character.

I like pale chocolate and special b for a brown ale but c80 and standard chocolate should be just as tasty.

A small amount of Brown malt (~6oz) comes across as 'nutty' as does a larger amount of Amber malt (which is 'toasty' as well). Special B you have to be careful with to not end up with a burnt raisin brown :D

How much Special B do you guys think might be appropriate for an operation like this? I've put a potentially amended grain bill back in the original post. Thanks for the great feedback! :mug:

How much Special B do you guys think might be appropriate for an operation like this? I've put a potentially amended grain bill back in the original post. Thanks for the great feedback! :mug:

depends on whether you are just adding it, or switching it for something else. Regardless, I wouldnt og over 8oz in anything. Its pretty assertive. For a brown ale, I might try 4oz if you want to put some in

depends on whether you are just adding it, or switching it for something else. Regardless, I wouldnt og over 8oz in anything. Its pretty assertive. For a brown ale, I might try 4oz if you want to put some in

I cut the Biscuit Malt and boosted the Victory. I was thinking maybe 2-4oz of Special B as I'll still have the Crystal 80 . . . ?

I might do 12oz crystal and 4oz special B, or 8oz of each. Either way, I think of special B as similar to crystal malts in that it is pretty sweet even just chewing on the malts. Id probably limit the crystal type malts at 1lb for a 5gal batch for a more balanced brown ale

Special B is a type of crystal malt. You can almost think of it as Crystal 140-160. It'll give more raisin/plum/prune flavors than caramel or toffee.

It should blend well with Crystal 80. But I'd also recommend not going above 4oz with Special B, unless you want dark fruit flavors.

Thank you guys for the great advice! I had to buy my malts yesterday, so I went with the amended grain bill. As for the pecans, I'm either going to roast and mash 8oz or create an extract with vodka. I'll let you know how it turns out!:mug:

Latest posts

Back