First neipa, ever need feed back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB504

Reaction score
I am on a neipa juicy ipa kick right now and was looking to brew one. Never brewed an ipa yet found Brewfather and built this one out looking for pointers on small changes or confirmation to boot this all together. These ingredients I have on hand and I’ll be using London ale III. Don’t know much about water chemistry no equipment to check those will be my next buys. But I’m using local store bought spring water

thanks and cheers

Attachments

• CFEF84A9-38E2-46B3-B74F-70ACE25CA86A.png
    CFEF84A9-38E2-46B3-B74F-70ACE25CA86A.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 38
  • B04158EE-E69A-441B-9012-EE1D11745AA4.png
    B04158EE-E69A-441B-9012-EE1D11745AA4.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 7042F052-B470-46CD-8D9C-181BF36316FB.png
    7042F052-B470-46CD-8D9C-181BF36316FB.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 32
Probably not a bad starting point for your recipe, I would up your dry hop to about 1.5oz per gallon and add use another hop alongside simcoe. Personally I like to use simcoe as a first wort hop then I use citra or mosaic or azacca as late and w/p additions. Galaxy for the dry hop is a good choice, in the recipe you posted it shows 2 oz of galaxy for 2 days and something else but doesnt say what that hop is. Also check out this thread

My best advice is that you are going to want to have the ability to do a few things before brewing this style. The ability to cold crash, do closed transfers and everything possible to limit any oxygen exposure. I will be honest in saying that brewing this style as your first ipa may be aiming high. I am not trying to be discouraging but it is a very hard style to brew properly. Enjoy the experience!

Cheers!

Yep ok I see it now. So I would move that up to at least 3oz of citra and 2oz of galaxy for the dry hop. A lot of guys are hopping at 1.5oz per gallon so assuming your doing a 5 gallon batch you want 7.5oz total dry hop. So that puts you closer to something like 5oz of citra and 2.5 of galaxy if you want to stick with your 2:1 ratio as listed.

Thanks for the advice I’m going to see how it comes out.

I also would adjust the day hopping scedule. My preference is using 3 different varieties not just 2 (I like citra, mosiac and cascade) and dryhopping at high krausen then again at 3 days before kegging. Even if your not into water chemistry yet you need to get your chloride to sulfate ratio right otherwise you will never get that soft fluffy mouthfeel your going for. Good luck and absolutely no O2!!!

You gotta start somewhere and the recipe looks pretty decent. I've only made a couple of these but have followed the above mentioned thread and have a good recipe now. For a 5G packaged volume, I use a total of 1 oz. of Warrior as my initial bittering hop, then do 3+2+1 of Citra+Mosaic+Galaxy at whirlpool, then the same combo as a single dry-hop. I've not yet tried a second dry-hop. So far quite pleased with the results. I've found with a similar grain bill that my ABV is right about 6%.

My best advice is that you are going to want to have the ability to do a few things before brewing this style. The ability to cold crash, do closed transfers and everything possible to limit any oxygen exposure. I will be honest in saying that brewing this style as your first ipa may be aiming high. I am not trying to be discouraging but it is a very hard style to brew properly. Enjoy the experience!

Cheers!
I can second this. I brewed this style as my fourth attempt and it came out tasty, but went south rather quickly I am guessing due to oxygen exposure.

I am getting back in the game after doing some reading and preliminaryy experiments and I am going to go for a DDH Pale Ale. I am in the process of building the recipe. This will be my second all-grain brew and the plan is to pay attention to water chemistry this time around.

good luck!

Back