First Mini-Mash went great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
Well I wanted to make better beer and I only have a few weeks of brewing be for my very busy seasonal work starts, so I tried a true Mini Mash from More-Beer HBS.

I used the bucket system that M-B has for $16 and also their Oatmeal stout kit! Everything went great (followed the directions to the "T") The Target O.G. was between 1.055 and 1.065 and I ended up with 1.061!! I am not sure about the efficiency thing... I took a S.G. reading after I collected the sweet wort, and that was 1.017 but I don't know how that relates to the efficiency?

As far as the process I would suggest this to anyone who would like to get more involved in the beer they produce with some decent CHEAP equipment!

the Recipe

7 lbs Ultralight Malt Extract

1.75 lb 2-row
8 oz Crystal 120L
8 oz Black Roasted
8 oz chocolate malt
4 oz Black Patent
4 oz wheat
4 oz carapils
1 lb flacked oats

1oz N. Brewer 60 min
1 oz kent Goldings 1 min

W.L. English Ale yeast

any Ideal why they would use ultralight malt extract?

Thanks

OOo and carboy caps and racking canes are awesome!

Ultralight extract is made only from base malt (no crystal or other "character" malts, which are inculded in the production of darker extracts).

Since the purpose of your mini-mash is to mash the "character" malts yourself and have more control over that part of the process, it makes perfect sense that you'd use ultralight extract.

That should make a very complex oatmeal stout, with all those different roasted grains.

Back