First Mead so I have a noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman73

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a mead kit from morebeer. They had a sale going on and it was a good deal for 12lbs of honey. I have read through Compleat Meadmaker, and I had planned out how I was going to make the mead. However reading the instructions from morebeer, they add potassium carbonate to raise the pH of the mead and allow it to ferment in 3 weeks instead of 3 months. Is adding potassium carbonate recommended?

And whether the mead is done fermenting in 3 weeks or 3 months, it still needs to age for several months, right?

Thanks!
Brian

Ken's book is wonderful. Like any book, it becomes outdated. More current information has given more options. My article in my signature gives more current detail.

Also, I have to point out that morebeer never added potassium carbonate to the kits until my Bray's One Month Mead became popular. I'm not the origin of the idea, so I really don't feel possessive. On the contrary, I'm happy they stay on top of current methods!

Better brewing through science!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Wow, what a great article! Thank you so much for pointing me to it. It answered my question perfectly, an gave me a lot of other very good information.

I am really excited to make my first mead. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back