First mead attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModestDeer

Reaction score
I started my first batch of mead 5 days ago after a lot of research, but I'm still doubting my mead process and i just want some advice, from people who can tell from the photos i posted, if it looks good or if i did something wrong. Any tips would be very much appreciated.
And again please keep in mind that this is my first attempt and English isn't my first language.
I started it a 5 days ago, its active, there is a foam-like brown layer over the raisins i used and its odorless.

Attachments

• 43127333_2150738451806251_8395948472771018752_n(1).jpg
    43127333_2150738451806251_8395948472771018752_n(1).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    404.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Capture222.PNG
    Capture222.PNG
    434.2 KB · Views: 91
Looks fine to me!

Foam is absolutely normal during fermentation.
The raisins are floating because of the carbon dioxide gas bubbles clinging to them.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much for the reply, i finally feel like am on a right path and i'm less concerned about it, its been a week, there is a small layer of sediment at the bottom, presumable dead yeast, it has a faint alcohol scent and a more predominant sweet one. I still have some more questions about the yeast, i used white wine yeast but the package was in french, i did make out the measurements but i kinda eyeballed it. Can something go wrong if i added a bit more than the recommended yeast amount per gallon?

Nope, that's fine!

The white layer at the bottom (called "lees") is yeast. The vast majority of the cells are still alive, just "flocculated" -- stuck together.

I know that the process lasts for weeks but even then how can i tell if its over?
I know there is no danger in having active yeast leftover, because it gives Co2 for carbonation but i don't want to end up with a dry mead. It might sound impatient of me and our right stupid to expect perfect mead on my first try, and that it comes with experience and failure, but i would very much appreciate tips on how to get close to a balanced mead.
Should i switch the container? Is a clear mead a sign that the process is over? Should i taste it in a few weeks to see if i'm happy with it and just stop the fermentation there?

Identical hydrometer readings several days apart means it's finished fermenting, generally speaking.

There are two common methods to make sweet mead, depending what alcohol level you want.
1. High starting gravity (lots of honey) so it finishes sweet naturally.
2. Ferment dry, clear, stabilize (to prevent secondary fermentation), and then sweeten.

Neither of these approaches work well for carbonation. If you want sweet and carbonated you do have some options (as a beginner):
1. Bottle pasteurization
2. Non-fermentable sweeteners
3. Force carbonation

The answers to your questions depend on your recipe and the method you are using.

There's a good chance your mead won't very good while it's young and you'll have to age it for a couple years. There are methods to make great tasting young mead like BOMM or by following a good regimen including staggered nutrient additions like TOSNA.

Back