First lager :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renshaw

Reaction score
I've not tried any home brew lagers before so i took a guess at what might be okay.

Has anyone tried Coopers Mexican Cerveza?
If so what commercial beer does it slightly remind you of if any.

Its currently in my shed with a brew belt.
Is their any thing i should watch out for when making a lager?

I've noticed it says it can take from fours days till 7 depending on temperatures.

. . . . Has anyone tried Coopers Mexican Cerveza?
If so what commercial beer does it slightly remind you of if any. . . . . .

Nope, nobody has ever tried it:D just joking around, If you bottle it in clear bottles you can get it to taste like corona if you put it in the sun a while.

. . . . . . .Is their any thing i should watch out for when making a lager? . . . . .

Primary fermentation temperature should be in the 40s - 50sF.

. . . . . . I've noticed it says it can take from fours days till 7 depending on temperatures.

That is correct, it also depends on the yeast and then there is the lagering phase after that, which is weeks to months, you can learn alot about lager brewing here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10.html

Brew on my friend:mug:

Really? 40 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit = 4.5 - 10 degrees Celsius

Seems low, or have i worked it out wrong? lols.
As its currently closer to 70s = 21 degree celsius

i've read about lagering on that site and it all talking in time scales of between 3 -6 weeks for totally process.

The instructions says
Ferment for 6 days @ 21oc OR 4 days at 27oc
Add 8g per 1litres when bottling.
Leave for at leave 7 days then enjoy.

(does says leave for up to three mouths to improve flavour, yeast deposits etc in the notes)
I'm i okay to follow this as it seems to fast compared to all the stuff i've seen/done in the past :S lols.

Thanks! :)

The Coopers kits usually come with an ale yeast, you are okay to ferment at those temperatures. I would leave it in the primary for 3 weeks as opposed to the 7 days suggested by Coopers.

That temp is high for a true lager and will most likely result in a less cleaner taste. What was the yeast that came with your kit?

Regardless it will still be beer and good to drink, it just may not taste anything like you expect.

Thanks for fast reply :)

Yeah it came with "Coopers Ale Yeast"
Just one more thing, Would it still carbonate properly if i left it three weeks using priming sugar.

Tar.

Yep you'll be fine, there will be enough yeast in suspension for much longer than that. Many of us allow for atleast 3-4 weeks in primary so that the yeast can clean up most of the off flavors that were created during active fermentation.

. . . Yeah it came with "Coopers Ale Yeast"
Just one more thing, Would it still carbonate properly if i left it three weeks using priming sugar.

Tar.

Yea, you'll be fine with that yeast at that temperature, this is NOT a lager.:mug:

The Coopers Mexican Cerveza DOES have a yeast which is a lager/ale blend. You can ferment at lower temperatures.

Sweet, dual purpose kit, Cooper's got it goin!!:rockin: Still, if you ferment at ale temp's, it's not a lager. Steam beer, . . . . maybe.

Sweet, dual purpose kit, Cooper's got it goin!!:rockin: Still, if you ferment at ale temp's, it's not a lager. Steam beer, . . . . maybe.

True. It works best if you start at 70F and work down to 60 from there over the next 24 hours. But the OP should be fine regardless.

Back