First Lager with WLP810

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I brewed the california common that the pastor posted, and used the WLP810 yeast strain. From what I have been reading this stuff has a pretty long lag phase, and then is slow to ferment. I'm curious to hear about other brewer's success with this strain.
I grew up enough yeast to pitch in a 10 gal batch, and pitched at ~70f. My basement temp where the primary fermenter lives is at ~58f. I guess the lag phase can be 5-15 hours at ~70.
So my question is, how long should it take if my wort is at ~58f? I'm just getting antsy now, because I'm used to my ale yeast blasting off and getting right to work within 7-10 hours.:confused:

I have made several lagers since that first one, and have had great success. Like ale it became an obsession to brew great lagers. With patience, decoction mashing,
and big a$$ starters I usually always have something in the lager chamber.

Reading this and many other threads about lager yeasts and brewing lead me to think that a sticky regarding different lager yeasts, fermentation characteristics (slow starts), and various fermentation methods (Diacetyl rests, etc.) would be very helpful. :)

OR maybe there is one and I've missed it.

Back