First Lager - Pitched at 55F - No Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I pitched about 18 hours ago and still don't see any activity in the fermentor. It was well aerated.

Pitched Saflager W-34/70 dry packet right into the fermentor.

Should I warm it up a bit, or just leave at 55F?

Thanks!

You seriously underpitched. Should have rehydrated 2 packs of 34/70 for 5-7 gallons. Dry pitching wipes out about 50% of the yeast, so you're looking at a long lag time and maybe a little more esters than you planned on. I'd warm it up in hopes that it takes off, or pitch another rehydrated 34/70.

Crap. Will pitching 1 more pack help, or am I going to be stuck with bubblegum beer :(

If I were you I'd pitch one more packet of re-hydrated 34/70 ASAP.

What was your OG?

FWIW, this weekend I pitched 2 packets of re-hydrated S-23 into 1.056 wort @ 58°F and had solid activity less than 24 hours later.

You will most likely have a buttery apple bomb.. one more packet rehydrated will probably help. Krausening it with a second lager will help even more.

I pitched about 18 hours ago and still don't see any activity in the fermentor. It was well aerated.

Pitched Saflager W-34/70 dry packet right into the fermentor.

Should I warm it up a bit, or just leave at 55F?

Thanks!

Yeah, pitch another pack at least. I use 34/70 all the time and it can be a slow starter, (but I pitch @ 50*).

I usually use it washed and step it up to a 5 L starter, decanted and it still takes a while to get going @ 50 even at that size.

What was your OG?

I think OG is really a determining factor here...I would think 2 packs would be enough for a ~1.050 at 55F. I recently used 3 packs of 34/70 for a 1.080 @ 50F and had activity in < 24 hours...

Thanks guys, I added another pack of yeast yesterday around 3pm and it was fermenting really well when I checked this morning.

I didn't take the OG but estimate it's anywhere from 4.5% to 5% depending on efficiency.

Once activity dies down I'll give it a taste and report back. Hopefully not too many off flavors.

Hi guys, I'm happy to report the beer tastes very clean! Thanks for the suggestions.

Now I have a couple more questions from a first time lager brewer

1. It's been sitting at 55F for two weeks today and tastes clean, no diacetyl/butterscotch flavor. Do I still need a diacetyl rest, or is 55F essentially warm enough already for the yeast to have cleaned up after themselves? The beer is about 4.5%.

2. If I don't need a diacetyl rest, can I transfer to the keg today and crash cool to 34F or so, or do I need to transfer and then slowly bring the temp down?

Thanks again!

1. No, yes.
2. Yes, no.

:)

If you're sure there is absolutely at all in the mouthfeel (slick or oiliness on the tongue), then you can go ahead and keg and lager.

1. If you don't taste any diacetyl or other off flavors, then you don't need a diacetyl rest. W34/70 is really a pretty forgiving yeast, so you may not need to do anything.

2. You can do either. I personally like to slowly drop the temp, I find it helps some lager strains flocc out better, but you can do it either way.

1. No, yes.
2. Yes, no.

:)

If you're sure there is absolutely at all in the mouthfeel (slick or oiliness on the tongue), then you can go ahead and keg and lager.

I wasn't aware of the slick/oiliness mouthfeel of diacetyl. I don't recall feeling that when I sampled it but I'll have to try it again before kegging to make sure. Thanks for the pointers guys.

I wasn't aware of the slick/oiliness mouthfeel of diacetyl. I don't recall feeling that when I sampled it but I'll have to try it again before kegging to make sure. Thanks for the pointers guys.

When diacetyl is present in small numbers, you'll get an oiliness on the teeth or tongue as the sign. When it's present in huge numbers, it's butter or butterscotch in flavor. So if you get any oiliness in the mouthfeel, or slickness, that's the time to do a diacetyl rest. When it's actually butter flavor, it's way too over the top and sometimes can't be fixed.

When diacetyl is present in small numbers, you'll get an oiliness on the teeth or tongue as the sign. When it's present in huge numbers, it's butter or butterscotch in flavor. So if you get any oiliness in the mouthfeel, or slickness, that's the time to do a diacetyl rest. When it's actually butter flavor, it's way too over the top and sometimes can't be fixed.

Good to know, thank you!

No oily mouthfeel, no butter smell/taste. Actually I can't believe how clean/crisp it tastes already! It's going to be really hard to lager this thing for a month or two now given how good it tastes and the fact that I'm lagering in a keg :ban:

So for anyone who finds out they underpitched, if you can get the count up and get it fermenting within 48 hrs, there's a good chance the beer won't suffer too much.

Thank everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Back