First Lager (Oktoberfest)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this Oktoberfest recipe and ingredients from my LHBS.

1 lb Caramel 40L
1.5 lb Light LME
6 lb Amber LME
1.5 German Hallertau (pellets)
Saflager S-23

1) What do you guys recommend in terms of fermentation schedule? I have a mini fridge with Johnson controller. I usually primary in an ale pail or 6.5G glass carboy. Secondary in a 5G glass carboy. I also have a corny keg (will be first time kegging).

2) If I decide I want to brew something else instead (e.g. an ale because I don't want to want to wait), what recipes would you recommend where I can use the steeping grain and LME. I can save the hops/yeast for another time and buy something else.

Thanks!

If this is your first brew, follow the same recipe and swap out that yeast for an ale yeast. S-05 would work. Go with a german ale yeast if you want to get closer to the octoberfest style.

A lager will be a long fermentation to wait on, and you could get frustrated if it's your first and you get eager to drink it sooner than you should.
Plus, your Octoberfest won't be ready until Thanksgiving.

The grain bill will work with an ale yeast just fine.

Back