First Lager - few post fermentation ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearKnowBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys, i asked a few questions about my first lager, a marzen (my favorite style of beer).

Its been 3.5 agonizing weeks and i have been steady at 1.012 for about 5 days, i have just raised my temp to 63 for a diacetyl rest, its been there for just under 2 days.

I was wondering how long do you guys do a diacetyl rest for?

I am going to transfer to my bright tank (another first) and then slowly lower to 33.

I generally cold crash, and then age all my beers, why do you slow lower temperatures for lagers? What is the benefit?

I am not an expert on lagering, but everything I've read calls for a 2-3 day Diacetyl rest. I'd be interested to know the answers to the others as well because I am trying a Bock for the first time here soon.

I think i'm going to transfer this weekend. Its my first lager, and the ales i brew with starter and aeration usually are done in a week, cold crash, keg, wait two weeks, drink. I can see why ales are so much more popular.

My original plan was 2-3 days diacytel rest, then transfer to my bright tank, then slowly lower to 32-33, 1 degree Celsius a day. but from 18 to 1 is another 2+ weeks, then i want to age for 30 days. So i am looking 17 days to get to 1 + 30 days to age seems like FOREVER to a guy with only one tap going...

I would say you may be too late for the diacetyl rest but if your fermentation was healthy you shouldn't need one anyway. Have you tasted it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would say you may be too late for the diacetyl rest but if your fermentation was healthy you shouldn't need one anyway. Have you tasted it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1
The D rest should usually take place as the beer is just a few points off final gravity and then allowed to finish, at 3 weeks I'd too say your a bit late.

If you taste the beer and taste no diacetyl then your golden, so forget the rest and slowly drop the temp to just above freezing and allow it to lager for a few weeks.

If you taste diacetyl, then you might have to krausen the beer to get rid of it, I've never krausened so I cannot offer tips on that.

It did drop to 1.010, but its clean, maybe the cleanest beer i have made. Still a little yeast in suspension, but very very drinkable. It is light enough its shocking that it right at 7%, oh well. Ill update once more after the one aging in the bright tank clears up.

4.75 gallons in bright tank
3 Gallons kegged and drinking now

Back