First Lager - Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I have a few questions about bottling my first lager and would appreciate some tips!

Recipe: North of the Border Vienna Lager from Brewing Classic Styles
OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager
Brew Date: Sept 21, 2012 (10 weeks ago)

1. I have been bulk lagering for 7 weeks at 38.3 F (3.5 C). Before bottling should I let the carboy reach room temperature? My calculator for priming sugar takes the temperature of the beer I am bottling into account.

2. Do I need to add some dry yeast to the beer before bottling? If so how much? I have some dry Safale S04 (british ale yeast) in the fridge. Would that work?

I have a few questions about bottling my first lager and would appreciate some tips!

Recipe: North of the Border Vienna Lager from Brewing Classic Styles
OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager
Brew Date: Sept 21, 2012 (10 weeks ago)

1. I have been bulk lagering for 7 weeks at 38.3 F (3.5 C). Before bottling should I let the carboy reach room temperature? My calculator for priming sugar takes the temperature of the beer I am bottling into account.

2. Do I need to add some dry yeast to the beer before bottling? If so how much? I have some dry Safale S04 (british ale yeast) in the fridge. Would that work?

1. No. You don't have to warm up the beer. Also, ignore the temperature part of your calculator. You've had the lager at (I'm assuming)....50 degrees, 65 degrees, and 40 degrees. You should use 65 degrees in the calculator as a result, but the calculators aren't clear. Ignore them totally, and use 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer.

2. You don't have to, but you can if you're worried about it carbing up. Use 1/3 package, more or less, to the cooled priming solution. Stir it in well, add to your bottling bucket, and then rack the beer into that.

Awesome thanks Yooper! Also yes those were my fermentation temperatures, I did a nice d-rest which made a world of difference.

Back