First Keg... Off Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, first keg experience. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone.

Tasted GREAT. Force Carb'd at room temp for about 2-3 weeks.
Chilled down the keg for a few days, then put it under 15lbs of CO2 to pour. Came out foamy, but, it was amazingly tasty.

I removed the GAS IN so I could put the keg back in the fridge, but kept the picnic tap on it. Took it out two days later, today, and it has some off tastes developing.

I'm thinking the keg has to remain under pressure? Not sure why it tastes differently now...

Does it have a slightly acidy bite?
How long was your beer aged. If I rush a beer I notice it will change taste 2 to 3 times after carbonating.

I have noticed that the beer in the line to the picnic tap will get lightstruck (skunky) very quickly if it is not kept cold and in the dark. For example, usually I keep and serve from kegs in a full size fridge in my brew partner's basement and never had an issue. However, I have a top loading dorm fridge (a hole cut out of the top) at my house that the top of the keg sticks out of by no more than a inch. It is very efficient and convenient. I had a party at my house and put the fridge on the back deck (in the shade) the day before and I noticed that any time there was beer in the serving line for more than half an hour, it was NASTY! Maybe that's what you're getting.

Well... let me be a bit more detailed.

I brewed a batch, let it sit. Put it to secondary with hops for WAY too long, about 3-4 weeks. I was concerned, but I figured it would make a good test batch for kegging anyway.

Force Carb'd at room temp for approx 2-3 weeks @ proper pressure. Put to the fridge under remaining pressure for 2 days.

Put about 14lbs. of pressure on it and poured. Dealt with lots of foam, naturally, bu got passed it. Poured out two beers, and they were amazing. Perhaps a little less carb'd then I'd like.. but they were definitely drinkable and definitely good enough for serving. And, a VERY accurate SNPA clone.

I removed the CO2 from the tank and left it under pressure and put it back in the fridge. Sure, the picnic tap was on too cause I didn't want to deal with it.

I pulled it out after 2 days in the fridge after tapping, and it's seems to pour pretty much the same... but this time... it tastes... off.

Instead of being a very accurate Sierra Nevada Pal Ale clone, I'm getting... mild sour notes, some described as Grapefruity, and it was a bit more pronounced the more I drank. Seemed to have changed significantly from my first tap...

Cant really think of what caused this...

Back