First Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
So, I entered my first homebrew competition a couple of weeks ago because I saw it being advertised. I had three bottles left of my Imperial Oatmeal Stout w/ Lactose & Vanilla Bean, so I figured why not? The feedback from the judges and seeing what BJCP people thought was important to me so I entered it into the Specialty Beer category.

Results came back today and I was very surprised to find that I got first in category and second in best of show, of 361 entries. Very excited.

Congrats! Maybe a recipe share? ?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Agreed! Please do take the time to post an award winning recipe in the recipe section. Quality recipes are always looked for!

I don't mind sharing recipe, but I took out the amounts used.

Crisp Maris Otter
Crisp Roasted Barley
Crisp Chocolate Malt
Briess 2 Row Caramel 80
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
Briess Flaked Oats
Lactose
Northern Brewer Pellets
Kent Goldings, UK Pellets

Vanilla Bean in Secondary - 72 Hours
White Labs Dry English Ale

So, I entered my first homebrew competition a couple of weeks ago because I saw it being advertised. I had three bottles left of my Imperial Oatmeal Stout w/ Lactose & Vanilla Bean, so I figured why not? The feedback from the judges and seeing what BJCP people thought was important to me so I entered it into the Specialty Beer category.

Results came back today and I was very surprised to find that I got first in category and second in best of show, of 361 entries. Very excited.

Congrats, How long have you been homebrewing?:ban:
:mug:

Why would you take the amounts out of your recipe? Just curious since many of the experienced brewers on this forum share their recipes. What is your concern about sharing the amounts?

Why would you take the amounts out of your recipe? Just curious since many of the experienced brewers on this forum share their recipes. What is your concern about sharing the amounts?

I just wouldn't like the way it would feel if someone else made my exact beer and called it their own. Not necessarily concern, but preference. Shouldn't be ridiculed for taking the exact amounts out ;)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/fg-milk-stout-445609/

Hey guys, I brewed an Oatmeal Milk Stout with a reasonably high mash temperature, partial mash. I tried to keep the temperature at around 155, but at points it may have gotten as warm as 160-162 (I know this is too high).

The estimated OG was 1.084 and estimated FG of 1.025.
The actual OG was 1.081 and FG is currently 1.029.

It has been around 2.5 weeks since it started fermentation, it seems to have stopped bubbling and is quite still. My question is, is this too high of an FG?

What should I do?

Here are more clues to this award winning recipe. Funny, no problem asking for help when things are going wrong, but get's all secretive when things go right.

(I'm drinking a oaked whisky vanilla stout right now, and would be happy to share the recipe)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/fg-milk-stout-445609/

Here are more clues to this award winning recipe. Funny, no problem asking for help when things are going wrong, but get's all secretive when things go right.

(I'm drinking a oaked whisky vanilla stout right now, and would be happy to share the recipe)

For the record, that's not the same beer - also I'm not "all secretive"... I shared all of the ingredients, even the vanilla (how much and for how long).

I didn't realize that someone would be a dick if I didn't share my recipe exactly to specifications. I've also answered questions on this forum and helped out people, but to get this much **** and try to dig into a reason unrelated to this post is pretty petty. I gave all the ingredients, including the hops and the yeast used, just like many breweries list on their bottles. Why don't we all give them **** because they don't list their amounts? You're a stand up guy, Mr. Heckler. Go ahead and pry and post more examples of my beers that i've asked questions about that didn't go according to plan, because no one on this forum has done that.

I spend a lot of time thinking about my recipes and the amounts to use for each grain and what it will contribute, sorry for not sharing that part? That doesn't mean i'm not willing to help someone make a recipe of their own or discuss what's good or bad. I actually did a similar thread on reddit and had a guy PM me about it. I helped him build a recipe of his own that would make a similar beer after discussing his likes/dislikes and what he really wanted from the beer. I think it would be better to help people make a beer they want and truly created rather than making exactly someone elses. That is also the same reason that i've never made a clone beer. If I get **** for this, so be it I suppose.

A big thank you to anyone who was sincere.

Back