First full boil, first recipe inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBeer

Reaction score
So I have seen a number of great recipe critiques that I probably should have taken a look at before brewing this past Sunday. In any event, for my fifth batch I made both my first full boil and first personal recipe the other day and am wondering what some folks think this thing will turn out like.

Boil Size: 5.7 g
Batch size: 5 G

1 lb Crystal 20L
8 oz Munich 10L

2.5 lb extra light DME
8 lb Amber LME
1 lb Dextrose (at 15 min)

1oz chinook (60 min)
1oz centennial (50)
1 oz warrior (40)
.5oz centennial (30)
.5oz Mt Hood (20)
.5 oz cascade (10)
.5 oz cascasde (2)

American Ale II

2oz Cascade dry hop

It came out at 1.086 and was SO sweet and sugary when I tasted the hydro sample. I assume this makes sense given the size of the beer and this is my first take with a corn suger addition so that could be it too. Anyway, anybody care to guess whether or not this will taste like ass?

I'd be willing to bet it tastes like beer!

Do you have a way of controlling fermentation temperature? If not, search the forum for swamp cooler. Shoot for mid to low sixties if possible.

yeah, I use the back room in the basement. The outside temperature has been such that, depending on how much I crack the window, it has been around 68 on the lcd termometer durring peak fermentation the past few days. It's not ideal but I have a system that has been working good enough for now.

Another question for the more knowledgable masses..will one pack of wyeast amearican ale II fully ferment a beer with an OG this high? If i find it stalls before reaching the target FG can i simply pitch another pack without consequence to the final product?

A starter would definitely be ideal for a beer of this gravity. Do you have a clean glass jug or growler? - you could make one in those. Plenty of threads on here for best procedure.

Back