First (failed?) Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebroekhuizen

Reaction score
Goodday.
Three days ago i brewed my first beer with. The picobrew s.
Unfortunately the picopack ripped open so i have no idea if all the temperatures were right for the brew.
Now its fermenting with a lot of foam.
I hope someone has some experience with this foaming.
I will include a picture of it.
Ps. Picobrew gave me a free pico pack.
Cheers to them!
[

1503240109712791949120.jpg

The foam just means it is fermenting vigorously. That is not a bad thing (unless it is an IPA and it'll drive off some hop aroma but that's about it.)

How much are you fermenting in that corny? You really want to have about a gallon or so worth of extra headspace to allow for kaursen (that's beer lingo for fermentation foam)

You need a blow off tube. I usually attach a hose to the center post of the air lock and put the other end in a tub of Star San.

Agreed that the foam is normal.
I can't speak for any other part of the brew being a success or failure, but what I see in the pic is a normal fermentation executed with inexperience (not anticipating a vigorous ferment and not having countermeasures in place, like a blowoff tube).

I ferment in corny kegs all the time, but you need a blowoff tube instead of an airlock, since you don't have headspace.
Basically just connect a gas quick-disconnect to the gas-in port with a few feet of 1/4" tubing that runs into a small container of sanitizer (make sure the opening of the tube is below the level of the sanitizer).

If you want to get a little fancier with it, cut your gas-in dip tube short so that it is basically flush with the inside top of the keg. It will give you maybe an inch of extra headspace.

Let it ride, and see what happens. My guess is that it turns out fine, as long as you have decent temperatures.

thanx for the fast reply.
To be honest i have no idea. I thought i've lost an amount of the wort so i filled the keg up with some water😦
The hop flavor is not an issue. I just ad a dry hop satched in the keg within a day or two.
It's an ale btw.

But most important. There is still hope.

Krausen coming out through the air lock can mean not enough head space as @jodell said, or the beer is fermenting too hot causing an over active fermentation. Off flavors can be produced by a hot fermentation for ale yeasts that do best at 66°F to 70°F.

I thought i've lost an amount of the wort so i filled the keg up with some water😦

Adding water can introduce oxygen - generally not good after fermentation has started (with some exceptions). If water is added, it should be done in a way that doesn't introduce oxygen. For this batch, it might be best to drink it quickly before oxidation has a chance to give it off flavors.

I hear you. I wish i could drink it already.
But i have 8 days of waiting before racking then at least a week carbonating.
Then when it is drinkable i promisse i will do it quickly.

Back