First disaster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So in my 8 years of brewing, I have had minor issues such as breaking a hydrometer and such, but no real true home brewing disaster until yesterday!

Last Friday I brewed 5 gallons of pumpkin ale with 5 lbs of pumpkin. The beer has been fermenting inside one of the Cool Ferment bags inside my son's old room since then. Last night after work, I took a gravity reading and it was coming along fine, then I went outside to do some yard work.

A little later, I was in the house eating dinner and I started smelling beer/yeast and was wondering why. Well I go into the room and the Cool Ferment bag with carboy inside is lying on it's side! There is pumpkin sludge on the carpet and the 10 gallon cooler full with ice water that pumps into a cooling jacket around the carboy had it's tubing disconnect and pour maybe 8 gallons of water into the carpet! I lost about 2 gallons of beer into the carpet also,

Have no clue how that happened, whether one of our dogs knocked it over but it was a mess! Wet vacuumed what I could up. Used towels to walk on to soak some up and have a fan blowing on it. Today, the room still smells of cinnamon, pumpkin and beer. Yikes!

Carpet cleaners coming Monday, re-brewing the beer today...this is one costly batch of pumpkin beer!!!! learned my lesson...this one will go in the basement and the carboy and fermenting bag will be put into a cooler to hold it :mad:

Back