First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmtn

Reaction score
Ok. i have my first home brew in the closet ferminting and as hard as it has been, i have not been a buble counter, :) The question i have is does specific gravity rise or fall during fermentation. i am assuming fall. OG was 1.072. I thought it had stopped fermenting so i checked the SG and it is 1.028. found out is was not done, the lid was not on all the way. so i recapped and patently waiting. Sorry, i guess the short question is should i expect it to go from say 1.028 to say (purely grabing a number) 1.018 once fermintation is done. sorry im long winded but im really excited about my first brew (Holiday Ale from True Brew)

what's your recipe? how long has it been fermenting? You are correct, your gravity readings should fall during fermentation. If you post some info it'll be easier to calculate your target FG.

ok here are the ingredients
6.6 lb light LME
1 lb Golden DME
1 lb corn sugar
12oz caramel 80L
4 oz chocolate
4 oz Black Patent
spice pack(unknow besides orange peel what's in)
1 oz bittering hops
1 oz Flavoring Hops
1 yeast satchet
It is a kit from Brewers Best called Holiday Ale
on the box
IBU's 40-48
OG:1.027
ABV 7%-8%
Full bodied amber beer.

I put the ferminter in the closet Sunday afternoon 4PM EST :)
the temp stays about 68degrees F

let me know if need anything else.

Cant say it enough times. SOOOOOO excited!! this is a blast!!
and this site has really made it even more fun. nothing like having drinking buds via forum :)

p.s. anybody here from North Georgia Mountains? would be cool to meet up with more home brewers

Blairsville GA here

I am not in the mountains but I live in Buford which is the north a georgia part. Good luck with your first brew.

day 7 in the fermenter and bubbling has slowed to almost nothing. hoping i get to bottle soon. will take another SG reading tonight if it actually stops.

Your gravity should finish close to 1.013 i plugged your recipe into my software and that's what it came up with. When it gets to around that it will be done. i would'nt bottle for at least a week after it gets there. sounds like it's gonna be good.

thanks don. not done yet. 1.020 i VERY slowly mixed the mash after getting reading as to not introduce any oxygen. (man what an awesome smell!!!) recaped it and poof! bubbles again. Felt like some of the mash (if i'm using the right term) was clumped up at bottom so that should give the yeast the ability to get to it better. I hope! lol

so i'll plan on not bottling it for at least a week then. :tank:

Once the wort (unfermented beer from your boil kettle) goes into your fermenter (bucket or carboy or whatever you're using) it's still wort for the first day or two, but once the yeast start to make alcohol, you now have young beer in your fermenter. When you first transfer the wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter you need to add oxygen (by shaking or stirring or by direct oxygen or air injection), but after it's been in the fermenter and has been fermenting for a few days it is not advisable to stir or mix, since this can introduce oxygen and if you're using a spoon or something you risk contaminating your beer. Once in the fermenter and properly oxygenated, it's best just to leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing. Patience is your friend, and the longer you give the yeast the better the beer will taste. I know it's tough with your first batch, but RDWHAHB.

Don't stir it once fermentation starts! I know it's hard but don't stir it up or mess with it. Oxygen after fermentation is underway ruins the taste of beer. And now, it IS beer. The yeast has done its work and made beer for you. You want to let it settle, and let the spent yeast fall to the bottom of the fermenter, and some of the other "stuff" in there that is suspended will fall out as well giving you a nice clear beer. That's another reason to not stir/jostle the fermenter.

It'll finish when it finishes. It may stay at 1.020 or so, as sometimes extract beers do. The key to know when it's done is when the SG stays the same over a period of at least three days.

Congradulations Brewmtn on your first brew...the first is always the hardest to wait for, but some advice I would lend, while you start to understand and get comfortable to brewing...keep your beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks without touching it ....as you become comfortable with the process it will be easier to see the beer is done and take some readings. I only say this, because at this point opening lids, mixing the beer and other contact can introduce oxygen or foreign strains of yeast which could affect/ruin the final product.
Also something I didnt read when I first started but found out as I went along (you may already know this), but temperature of the wort when you take your readings can effect the hydrometer and skew your results...so if the temp is 60 degrees no adjustment, 70 degrees add 1 point, 77 add 2 points, 84 add three points, 95 add 5 points and 105 add 7 points.
However no matter what you do, have fun with it and the best experience is trying that first beer that you made!

Oh one other thing...I would recomend trying kits from Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply or Midwest Supplies....they are usually a little cheaper (specially Austin Homebrew Supplies 20th anniversary kits), but they also have very detail directions that give you target gravity readings.

yeah, probably going to try some from each of those. i just picked this one because the list of ingrediants sounded and really good, and i wont lie the 7-8% alcohol sounded good too :) cant decide on my next kit yet though. i really like the ambers lager like yuenling so any suggestions?

Hello Brewmtn...I would try Northern Brewers Rauchbier Kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...lager-kits/rauchbier-extract-kit.html)...just make sure you have the ability to ferment a lager at the colder temperatures it requires. If you can't ferment at lower temperatures, you might give Austin Homebrews Ale Kits a try (because they are on sale...They have a Anniversary Amber or an Anniversary English Brown that are on sale for $20. And not that you have one brew down, you should try a partial mash.

download the free recipe software that is on this web site under software. the two i downloaded were free.

Brew target 1.2
Brew Mate
brew mate is a little easier to use. both are pretty good though.

Back