First Brew Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I made my first brews this weekend, two five gallon batches. It went ok but not without a few issue, but this was my first batches so I figured Id screw up a little, and I did.

Brew weekend started on friday night about 10 pm, well I started sanitizing about 9. I mixed up a batch of EdWorts Apfelwein.
Couldnt have been easier 10 minutes and I was done. I took it down into a room I have commandeered as my new brew room. The temp
down there is pretty stable at 68 degrees this time of year, I think it will work fine.

Saturday morning I got up and started sanitizing and getting ready to make my brewers best Red Ale kit. Put my 2.5 gallons of water
in my new 5 gal stainless pot and started the sanitizing of the rest of my equipment. It was taking a while to get up to the 155 degress to do
my steeping grains, so I pulled out another pot and poured half in there and got it up to temp and then poured it back in, and let the grain steep away.

I should mention I am using an electric stove, which I thought would be fine with only boiling 2.5 gallons, but it was less than satifactory and caused
me headaches all morning.

Once the steeping grain were done I had to fight getting up to a rolling boil, by spliting the wort a couple times heating the one and returning it to
the big pot. I think one of my problems is that the pot is wide and not tall skinny. Long story short I was able to get the boil and add my LME and return it to a boil add the hops twice pretty much all was good.

The only other screw up was that I forgot to add my Irish moss, until about 8 minutes before the end. I guess better late than never.

I think I also added a little too much water at the end to bring it up to my 5 gallons. According to the kit the gravity should have been 1.048 I came in at 1.042.

This ale used nottingham yeast I followed the directions and rehydrated the yeast while the wort was cooling.

I dont have any sort of chiller yet so I just did it in the kitchen sink, but super cooled it with ice and salt. it cool down most of the way
in about 15-20 minutes. I had put the remaining water in the frezzer at the start of the boil, and it was ice cold. I mixed the two and the resulting wort
was pretty much room temp when I pitched the yeast and aerated. I didnt get the worts temp when I pitch, because I noticed the themometer only goes as low as
100, but it was well under that.

I was a little worried because as of saturday night the apfelwein wasnt doing anything at all, I was temped to open the bucket and take a look. But I held
off and said I would give it one more day. I got up sunday and the apfelwein was a bubbling away, and I was seeing a bubble in the red ale about once every
30 seconds. As of this morning they are both bubbling strongly.

Now we wait....

Oh and I am definately hooked. And the good thing is the wife is really cool with the whole thing. She like seeing me enjoy it I guess.

Sounds like you had a MUCH AWESOME first time; nothing you wrote should give you any worries!

Nope no worries, just a little frustration with the stove. My birthday is in july and the wife has been informed a propane heater is a good gift idea.

I think I did well with sanitizing everything, and the yeast will do the rest. The apfelwein was starting to smell sulfery last night, but a trip to homebrewtalk last night told me that is par for the course.

The only complaints I got from the family during brewing was the kids said it smelled like I was cooking sweet potatoes. A little febreezing after the brewing took care of most of the smell.

We had a wedding to go to saturday night. The only beer the had was miller lite. I choked a few down, and decided I would rather have nothing, and that the next wedding I would sneak some of my homebrew in.

Sounds like a real good brewday to me! +1 on the propane burner. It's so much nicer when you aren't farting around with underpowered stovetops.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gravity, as extract brews really need pretty vigorous stirring to get the wort all blended. Sounds like you had a good first brew, congrats!

I had a hard time getting all the liquid extract out of the cans, so Im sure I lost a little "Sugar" there. It will still be beer. Sweet delicious beer. Man Im thirsty now.

Next time throw the LME containers in a sink full of hot water while you are waiting for the pot to heat up. Once poured out, I use a turkey baster to grab some of the hot wort and swish it around in the containers to loosen up any remaining liquid sweetness on the sides and pour it back.....

I had soaked them it hot water before, and did grab som wort and swish them, but it wasnt doing much good, it wasnt a lot left, but I didnt spend alot of time trying to get it out. I was more worried about stiring at that point.

Hot water from the sink won't help your LME much... I just take a small pot with water and heat up the can there about 5 minutes before I'm supposed to add it... I can get pretty much all LME out of the can without a problem that way...

Back