First brew-too much water ruining my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyG

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So last Monday (June 7th) I brewed my first beer (an American Wheat Beer from Northern Brewer), and nearly everything went wrong. A nasty overboil burned some wort in to my stove I STILL can't get off, and (more dangerously), I finished making the wort and added the (I at the time thought) 2 gallons of boiled and cooled water and the wort to my fermenter, only to find that I had about 3 gallons of total liquid in there. At that point it was already 1 in the morning and I had work the next day, so I didn't have time to boil, cool, and add another 2 gallons of water. On the advice of a thread I found here, I put a lid on my fermenter (I'm using a bucket, not a carboy), and then the next night (Tuesday) re-boiled the wort to kill anything that might have taken root overnight, along with 2 gallons of water. I stuck it all in the fermenter, pitched my (dry) yeast, and put it in a corner.

On Wednesday night (24 hours later), my fermentation lock was bubbling away merrily - about one bubble-up every three seconds. As of Thursday night it was down to about one every 45 seconds, and by Friday morning it had stopped. I went away for the weekend, and tonight (five full days after pitching the wort) I finally took the gravity of the wort (I forgot to take an original gravity - I'm absolutely kicking myself for that, but it's a mistake I won't make again). The gravity was at 1.12, and there was no krausen at all. I tried some of the beer, and it tasted all right but really really watery. I'm thinking if the gravity hasn't changed by tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll just go ahead and bottle it.

So this is a lot of buildup, but what it comes down to is - is it a problem that my beer seems to have stopped fermenting after so little time, considering that the instructions with the kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/AmericanWheatBeer.pdf) say it should take about two weeks? Or the fact that it's on the watery side? Will it be able to bottle all right?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this far!

Just let the beer sit for another 11 days. Most time fermentation is done within a few days but after that the yeast is still working to do some clean-up.

What was the volume of the wort that you were boiling? If you added 2 gallons to the cooled wort and had 3 gallons, you only had post boil 1 gallon...not much utilization there, even with a boilover...

Anyways, leave it be and bottle it when the gravity stays the same over a 3 day period. Every one makes mistakes on their first brew, your second one will go much smoother. Had to start somewhere, right?

I had thought that I had put in 2.5 gallons of water for the wort (measured by measuring cup), which is why I was so confused that the total volume was so low. The boil-over wasn't THAT bad, so my guess would be I miscounted, either for the wort or the original water (or both).

And yeah, I'm not too worried about my first brew going badly. Most of the mistakes I made were things that'll be really easy to prevent next time, and I'm really excited for my next brew.

As Icasanova stated... let 'er sit... it definately will not hurt, in fact it will probably make it better.

I went to the store and bought gallons of spring water to use. This eliminated any guessing on measuring, and I can save the gallon jugs to use in the future. That way you know for sure what you're putting on to boil.

It sounds like it will be drinkable... and if you want watery beer just try MGD 64 or Bud 55.... i'm sure yours will taste better than that pee water...

good luck and dont let it stop you from continuing. take notes. learn. and move on.

You'll prolly be surprised when you carb it up in bottles. It'll definitely have more body when it's got bubbles. Even so, nothing wrong with a light wheat beer around this time of year.

You're probably fine and it will still be beer!
Dry yeast can ferment fairly rapidly. I noticed the same thing on my first. I went to liquid yeasts after that.

So I just checked the gravity again and it's dropping, so I guess the yeast is still doing its thing. Still tastes kinda watery, but not undrinkably so, and it's not half bad cold. Thanks everyone!

Must be something with the style, I made AHS Belgian Half Wit (which was already weak) and added too much liquid somehow and it ended up 3.5%. Hah. Hopefully it's drinkable.

Latest posts

Back