First brew this weekend, which fermenter should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgonzo2k2

Really Awesome User
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after a lot of research I've finally decided to jump in and start homebrewing, and I'm all set to make my first batch this weekend. I've got all my equipment, cleaner and sanitizer, and my first kit purchased and ready to go.

When I was originally buying everything I was going to go with both a primary and secondary fermentation so I purchased two fermenters. Now that I've read into it more I've decided (at least for the first several batches) to skip the secondary and just try to keep it simple, as I don't think it'll have much impact on the beers I'll be brewing right away.

So now I've got these two fermenters, and I was looking for some advice on which one you'd say to use for my first batch(es). I'll be brewing a 5 gal. batch of IPA from my LHBS which has 4 hops additions and 2 oz. of dry hopping. Also, if it matters I'll be using a fermentation chamber consisting of a mini-fridge and ferm-wrap with temp controls.

Option 1 is a pretty standard ale pail with drum tap and plastic lid with a 3 piece airlock. I also modified the lid last night to instal a thermowell for the temp probe.

Option 2 is a 5 gal. glass Big Mouth Bubbler with a blow off tube. I haven't yet, but my plan was to also modify the lid in the same way to install a thermowell into it too. I've got the harness to help move it around and was also considering using a milk crate.

Sounds like fun. I am brewing my first batch tomorrow (Friday), have some friends coming over to learn together. My wife bought me a Mr. Beer kit and I've turned into a monster. I definitely found my new hobby.

My first batch is hopefully a little easier, I am making a Hefeweizen using an extract kit. I have the equipment for a primary and secondary fermentation but I also am probably just going to keep it simple and skip the secondary for now. My second batch will be an Irish Red Ale and the one I'm really excited about is the third kit on the way which is the Plinian Legacy from Northern Brewer. I love IPA's and I've heard great things about this one.

I can't wait to get a pipeline going, I feel like a kid in a candy store, absolutely excited.

Good luck with your first brew!

RP

Go with the ale pail.

Option 2 is only 5 gals which will get VERY messy with a 5 gal batch in it, even with a blow off tube. If you want to use the glass thingy, make a 4gal or smaller batch.

Use the 6.5 bucket for your primary. After 2-3 weeks (or when you reach a stable gravity, most likely in that time window) you'll transfer your beer to the 5-gallon carboy and siphon (rack) the beer on top of the hops you'll be adding to that carboy before you put the beer in there (dry hopping). Welcome to the addiction.

For a first brew , I would get the experience of seeing it go on in the clear FV . Leave a good headspace tho, forget the blow off tube stuff. With the brew that dose not fit in put that in a smaller vessel, improvise a bit , you can brew in anything. The visual of your first brew will get you thoroughly hooked, BUT LEAVE FOUR INCHES HEADSPACE !

The 5 gallon big mouth would be intended as a secondary, where minimal head space is needed to help stop infection pellicles from forming. It does not have enough head space for fermenting a 5 gallon batch. Ferment in the pail, as it's likely 6 1/2 gallon size, which allows for all the krausen expansion that will occur when the initial fermentation takes off.

Latest posts

Back