First brew still in primary - gravity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daringescape

Reaction score
I have had my first batch (an english brown ale) in the primary for a week now, and the gravity has been steady at 1.018 for the last 2 days. I tasted the sample and it is really malty, with a bit of astringent aftertaste. Should I leave it in primary for longer, or is it OK to rack to secondary?

The recipe I used is:

6 lbs. Amber Dry exctract
12 oz Crystal malt
4 oz chocolate malt
2 oz kent goldings (1 oz at 60, .5 at 30 and .5 at 0)

My SG was around 1.05

Im just looking for some advice.

Thanks!

i would give the yeast a good rousing and see if you can get it down to 1.013... Guidelines from BJCP state that you should have a FG of 1.008 – 1.013..

Let it sit in the primary for another 5 days and then check the gravity.

to give the yeast a good rousing, what should I do? Stir the wort? or add something?

I dont want to add any oxygen to the mix, right?

to give the yeast a good rousing, what should I do? Stir the wort? or add something?

I dont want to add any oxygen to the mix, right?
daringescape, Once the gravity holds for 3-4 days gradually increase the temperature for 3 days to give the yeast a chance to do their cleanup... I wouldn't advise stirring it at all...

What i tend to do if I rouse the yeast... i NEVER stir... ever. My idea of rousing is to raise the temperature and give the carboy a gentle shake/swirl... just to get the yeast back into suspension... I'm way to paranoid about sticking anything in my wort besides my wine thief which I boil and then dunk in starsan before I put into the carboy.

My appologies... i should have been more specific

Back