First brew is skunked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaurtz

Reaction score
First brew, its not done fermenting, it'll be a week old tomorrow, and its obviously skunked. I was hoping with it being in the thick bucket it was in the UV wouldn't penetrate it. Is there anyway of saving it? Or is it gone? Its not a bad skunk, it just reminds me of a flat Heineken at this point.

I wouldnt pitch it just yet, especially if its not done fermenting. The smells your getting could just be aromas from the fermentation. What do you mean by "obviously skunked"

How did it get exposed? How long has it been exposed?

The spot I have it sitting in is usually cold, and its within my constant view so I know that nobody is tampering it and I know that its safe. Its been in the same spot since I brewed it last Friday. When I drink it I get this taste similar to a corona or a heineken. The smell I recognize, it smells like bread rising. However, I am not getting a skunky smell, just the taste.

You're beer is still too young to make any type of determination of what the final flavor is going to be. Leave it in that bucket for another three weeks and let the yeast do their thing. Taste it again before you bottle it and you'll probably notice a significant difference in the flavor. Let it condition and carbonate in the bottle for at least three weeks and you'll still notice a dramatic difference in the flavor. Patience is a must if you want to pursue this hobby. Happy brewing!

In a bucket you shouldnt have much of an issue with light penetration unless it was in some fairly extreme conditions. I'd treat it like you would any other brew and bottle or keg as usual and hope for the best. Beers turn around sometimes and turn into something pretty sweet given a short period of time to age.

Lots of variables here. First off, what beer did you brew, and what water did you use for it? Let's start there.

I was doing a simple Honeywheat. I used 3.3 lbs of a LME from Wheat, and used 4 lbs of raw honey that was gathered from a blackberry plant. I used Tap water that I had preboiled to throw off the chlorine.

Hmm, not sure. Where did you get the hops? Maybe they were old? I was going to say it's the tap water, but you boiled it. That removes chlorine and temporary hardness, but it just may not be enough for a beer that light. Could be other components in the water making it taste bad. My light beers I always buy RO/Distilled water and add maybe 1/2gal tap for some extra minerals. I brewed blondes, creams, and wheats with straight tap and they were all bad until I started buying water. Also, let it ride out and finish fermenting and see how it is.

The hops were given to me by a guy at the shop I got my equipment from. Hes the one who told me this simple brew, They didn't really have any indication as to type, only a 7.9% on them.

Was it My Old KY Homebrew or that place off Westport Rd? Liquor Barn can have old hops, but they are always labeled. I'm thinking it was the water. I learned my lesson with light beers and tap water. I always warn people about that when they start.

Cool. Paul's a good guy, he wouldn't sell anything bad.

It's not even done fermenting, I would just leave it alone, not touching it for at least another two weeks before passing judgement.

It's way too early to determine whether there are going to be off flavors. Fermentation always smells funny. The smell has been referred to, on here, as rhino farts. I'd leave it alone for awhile.

Isn't four lbs. of honey a lot for a five gallon batch? I'm not criticizing! I've used three lbs. before and it fermented way too low.

My brown ale sat in a pitch black closet and still had some funky flavors when it was that green. Let it ride!

I think discussing what is wrong with the beer is ridiculous at this point. Its only been fermenting a week, its not even beer yet, its half fermented wort...it should taste kinda crappy. Let it go another 2 weeks and give it a try, until then, don't even think about it.

Also if your temp in the house is right and you're still worried about UV, just wrap a towel around the bucket/carboy.

It's not even done fermenting, I would just leave it alone, not touching it for at least another two weeks before passing judgement.

Totally agree with this.

I would even go farther to say you can't judge it until it is carbonated and aged 5+weeks at earliest. i.e. 5 weeks from the start of fermentation.

Warm beer always tastes like crap and smells bad, plus your still have a fermentation going. I leave my beer in primary for 3 weeks, then carb for one and the beer is still green after that. What did you expect to smell at 1 week, in the midst of fermentation?

Not trying to be hard on you, but seriously, let it roll - stop over analyzing.

I just tasted the first bottle from my first brew last night, and I was worried about it as well, but I'm totally happy with it. Patience! It will turn out fine, and if you're using the plastic buckets, you shouldn't have any issues with UV penetration.

Oh wow, yea I misread the first post. It's only been 1 week, let it sit a couple more weeks and try it.

Latest posts

Back