First brew is in the fermenter: thoughts on procedure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyrenus

Reaction score
Ahhh! So my first batch ever is cooked and in the fermenter. Brewing was fun but took more time than I thought it would. But I learned a lot and I'm sure the next brew will go faster. Here's how I went:

Put 3 gallons of water in the kettle and on the stove to heat up.

Filled fermenter and second bucket with sanitizing solution. Really should have done the fermenter in the bathtub. I'll have to do that next time. Added all tools I might be needing to the sanitizing bucket. Airlock, spoons, measuring cups, strainer, thief, even tossed the dry yeast packet in there for a bit.

Brought the kettle to 155 and steeped my specialty grains for 30 minutes at 155-158. I do a lot of cooking on the smoker so luckily I already have some high quality digital thermometers.

Removed the grains, squeezed them out a bit and dumped them in the trash. Returned the kettle to heat and started for a boil. Boiling this much water took a while. That was one of my surprises for the day. I think it might have taken 25 minutes to get the kettle to a rolling boil.

Remove from heat and stirred in 75% of my LME. Stir stir stir like crazy while pouring it in as slow as I could. I probably should have done it a bit faster because it seemed as if it cooled off too much while removed from the heat. Took about 15 more minutes to get it back to a rolling boil.

:00 Added bittering hops in a hops bag. The bag boiled open eventually and spilled all the hops into the wort. Will have to tie it better next time.

Boiled and stirred for 45 minutes. I never had a bad issue with foaming or boilovers. I felt confident I could have gone 3.5 or even 4 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle without problems.

:45, removed from heat, Added the other 25% of my LME, rinsed jug out in the wort and returned to heat.

:57 Added the aroma hops straight to the wort

:60 Removed from heat and sat in sink full of water.

Rehydrated my yeast packed in a sanitized measuring cup and 1 cup of preboiled, 85 degree water. "Proofed" with 1 teaspoon of table sugar. It started foaming within 15 minutes. Covered loosely with foil.

Drained the water and alternated with ice in the sink until the wort had cooled down to about 80 degrees. I should have cooled it further but thought my top off water would pull it down more, but it didn't. Took about 25 minutes. I stirred occasionally with the spoon I had used to stir during the boil. Some directions I read said to use a sanitized spoon, but if this has been in the boil it should be sanitized already?

Had the SO hold the strainer while I slowly poured the wort through and into the fermenting bucket. This kitchen strainer acted like a percolator, and the wort foamed up quite a bit just from going through it. I felt it got pretty well aerated just from that.

Topped up to just over 5 gallons with my bottled water (added about 2.25 gallons). These are jugs that we refill with water at the store. They weren't sanitized jugs, but they've only had water in them. Still, I think next time I might sanitize the jugs and fill them with preboiled water ahead of time.

Took OG: 1.46 @ 80 ~~ 1.476 Looks to be spot on.

Pitched the yeast at 80 degrees and put the lid and airlock on. Stuck the stick on thermometer on the side of the bucket. Over the course of the next 24 hours I eventually cooled the fermenter down to 68 degrees.

8 hours later the bucket was bubbling away! ~75 degrees
32 hours later the bubbling has slowed way down. ~68-70 degrees

I've got it in a pan of water with a towel draped over it, a small fan on it and I'm alternating frozen water bottles in the pan of water. Aiming to keep it around 68 degrees.

The airlock smells of beer!

I'd rather not, but I think I'm going to rack to a 5 gallon carboy in a week. I need the fermenter so I can do another batch.

Do I have any glaring mistakes that I have made?

It looks like you did just fine!

The only thing I noticed was your OG is incorrect- you mean 1.047. That sounds great.

I don't use a hops bag in my wort, but if you want to use one, that's ok. Just make sure that when it's securely tied that the hops are loose in there, not tightly packed.

80 degrees is pretty warm to pitch the yeast- next time try to get the wort at 70 degrees or under before pitching.

Sounds like you're going to have some good beer pretty soon! :mug:

You don't want to squeeze the steeping grain bag. It can cause off flavors "astringency(sp)", just take it out or you can poor a quart or two of 170 degree water over it to help pull out more of the goodies.

80 degrees is fine for pitching as long as you can bring it down soon after like you did. you just don't want to have it over 95 or you could kill the yeast.

Ok, I will shoot for 70 degrees for pitching next time.

I couldn't quite remember the percentages for the late extract addition, so I started with 75%. Next time I will switch them and do 75% in the last 15 minutes.

The grains held a ton of liquid when I pulled them up. I guess I shouldn't have squeezed quite so much on them. I'll fix that next time!

Thanks for the suggestions!

For cold breaks, if you can get some gallon jugs and put them in the freezer or refrig you can use that water. I go from 212 to 110 in 10 minutes, then dilute with the extra cold water. Works like a charm and I can pitch the yeast at between 65-70.

No problem with unsanitized spoon - just make sure the cat did no0t sit on it or lick it LOL

I would try to not pitch the yeast at 80 as they might have a little shock but it looks like a no problem.

Also purchase those handy little stick on thermometers for carboys.

Once you get going you will want to get an electric drill with an aerator attachment mixes up the cold and warm wort and makes lots of nice bubbles.

I hear you about racking. I have two 6g and one 5g carboy and am always swapping out brews. Go nuts on making batches - it will calm your nerves until you have enough drinkable brews to stop worrying over each one.

TAKE NOTES!! If you really get into it you will look back and wish you would have taken BETTER notes.

For extract - I go with 33%ish and the rest 15 minutes. Not a big deal but it helps keep the color lighter.

I will have my top off water chilled for the next batch.

The aerator attachment is a good idea but I will probably have to wait for a while on that. I'll probably have one in my next order, but that might be a few batches down the road.

And these are my notes :)

Just shake the heck out of your chilled top-off water before dumping it in, you'll get plenty of aeration. If you go to full boils, that's when you really need to worry about aerating the wort IMO.

Back