First brew in two years - technique help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpug

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be brewing my first beer in two years tomorrow. I've only brewed 5 times before, so I'm still very much a novice. In preparation, I've been vigorously researching, and decided to alter my previous technique to include higher boiling volumes and late extract addition - hopefully this improves my product. I'm brewing an amber and this is what I'm thinking of doing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1) Steep for 30 mins in 1.5 gal:
6oz 80*L American crystal malt
3oz German dark Munich malt
1 oz roasted barley
(Sparge in small amount of water)

2) Add water to obtain 3 gal

3) Add 0.86lbs DME and 1oz Northern Brewer (bittering hop)
Boil for 45 mins, then add 4.9lbs DME, 1oz willamette (flavoring hop), and 1tsp. Irish moss

4) Boil for 14 mins, then add 1 oz Willamette (aroma hop).

5) Boil for 1 minute, then cool and add water to obtain 5 gal final volume.

6) Aerate, then pitch yeast at 70 (wyeast London ale - should I make a starter for this?)

**One more thing: I have had my previous beers finish at a high gravity and be slightly too sweet. I read that replacing some of the DME for sugar can fix this. That said, this technique is so different from what I have done before, I may be fine.

Obviously I'm omitting gravity and temps here, but does this look like a solid plan? Thanks!

it looks like a good plan! i love wyeast london ale 1028, it is one of my favorite yeasts. is it possible that you could ferment cooler than 70? 1028 is really nice a bit cooler.

the starter question is up to you. i'm far less infatuated with them than i once was. this is a minority view here, though, and there is certainly some insurance in preparing a starter, particularly if you're unsure about your ability to aerate the wort

Thanks! I keep my house at 65 during the winter, so that's good to know, I thought I was going to have to wrap my carboy! Decided to make a starter. Cheers.

Back