First brew in 1.5 years - Holiday Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaney

Reaction score
I've been moving around quite a bit lately, and ended up just putting my brewing equipment into storage. I have 4-5 brews under my belt, but its been about a year and a half since my last brew. Fast forward to Dec. 1, I was invited to a 'Homemade Holiday Party' on the 21st. I decided I wanted to bring a homebrew to the party and set off scouring the internet for a quick holiday spice ale. I found the following recipe and asked my LHBS to help me convert from all grain to extract:

Recipe says its ready in a month, 2 weeks in fermenter, 2 weeks in bottle. I was hoping to cut a week or more off and ended up picking up a keg system in hopes it will be ready to serve by the 21st.

The original recipe, ...and my substitutions
Holiday Spice Ale (all grain)

Style: American Ale
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.6%
IBU: 19
Volume: 5.5 gallons

Grain Bill:
5.5 lbs Pale Malt... 6.6 lbs CBW Golden Light Unhopped LME
1 lb Belgian Aromatic
1 lb Honey Malt

Adjuncts:
1 lb Honey... Orange Blossom Honey
1/8th pound Molasses

Hops:
Bittering Hops: 1.5 oz Fuggle (60 minutes)
Flavor Hops: .5 oz Fuggle (10 minutes)

Yeast: Wyeast 1028 London Ale... White Labs WLP005

Extras:
2 TBSP ground Allspice (10 minutes)... 4tsp
...5 tsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
...1 tsp Irish Moss

So there wasn't much instruction with the recipe, maybe all grain brewers don't necessarily follow temps and times, and just shoot for targets? Either way I just tried what I know and did the following:

I wasn't sure if my grain was the type that would benefit from conversion or not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to treat it like it was. I steeped in 2 gallons of water between 151-154F for 30 minutes brought it to a boil, and set it aside to cool. I had 3.5 gallons heating up in another pot so I rinsed the grain in that water a few times by soaking and draining the grain bag, a sort of a 'sparge' I guess.

I added the 6.6 lbs of LME to the 3.5 gal pot, brought it back to a boil, added the 1.5 oz Fuggle and set the timer to 60 minutes. With 10 minutes left I added 0.5 oz Fuggle, 1 tsp Irish Moss, and 4 tsp Ground Allspice. I went and filled the bathtub with cold water and added 10 lbs of ice. Flame out, I put the pot in the ice bath, added 5 tsp of yeast nutrient, then got the temp down to about 85 within 15-20 minutes. The 2 gal 'tea' was around 60F by this point. The 'tea' didn't have any hot/cold break or hops in it so I poured it right into the fermenter with some splashing to aerate it. I siphoned about 3 gallons off of the hot/cold break and hops from the other pot and added this to the fermenter also. I lost maybe a quarter gallon to trub and another quarter gallon to boil off. The two pots mixed to make about 5 gallons of 70-72 F wort.

It was at this point that I added the honey and molasses by soaking them in warm water to help it flow better. I stirred this into the wort to dissolve, took an OG reading of 1.060 @ 71 F (quite a bit high), pitched the yeast and put the whole thing in a room about 72-73 degrees overnight. I noticed positive pressure in the air lock after about 2 hours, and went to bed.

This morning I woke up and it was producing about 2 bubbles per minute at the 12 hour mark. At 15 hours it was producing a bubble every several seconds, so I moved it to a cooler room in the basement that stays between 66-68 F. I started it in a warmer room first to help give the yeast a boost since I didn't do a starter. Its nearing 18 hours and bubbling more vigorously.

I looked up Fuggle Hops, and they have an alpha acid between 3.8-5.5 and according to an IBU calculator hopping the 3.5 gallon will land me between 18.25 on the low end and 26.42 on the high end, so my bitterness should be about right. I overshot the OG by quite a bit which wont help it ferment any faster unfortunately. I am guessing this is both because I used a bit much LME, and possibly I extracted/converted more sugars than I was expecting with my specialty grains. I'll have to learn to convert a recipe from all grain to extract better in the future. My intent was to try to do a full 5 gallon boil by steeping the specialty grains seperate from the LME boil. If anyone has any insight or advice about what I did I'd love to hear it!

At this point my plan is to let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks, I chose a high flocculation yeast so hopefully it will be clear. I will then rack to the keg and let it sit for a day or so, and pull a pint off in case anything else settled. I will swirl the keg lightly to whirlpool anything else to the center, let it sit another day and pull another pint off. It is my hope that the beer will be clear enough to transport the keg to my party without getting cloudy or tasting 'yeasty' or green. This is my first time kegging so I welcome any comments or advice.

Anyways, thanks for stopping in and reading my new experiment!:mug:

The ale will be going on 48 hours in the fermenter tonight, and seems to be progressing along nicely. Still bubbling at a decent rate, no blow-out yet so I think I should be good. The only problem I have run into so far (knock on wood) is that the Star-San in the air lock was definitely getting low when I woke up this morning. I hadn't thought about Star-San's foaming action, and apparently much of it had foamed right out the top of the air lock :p.

Now for a few questions I have thought of regarding kegging, I was hoping to force carbonate using the 'quick' method days before the party I am brewing this for. I have never kegged before and research has gotten me much of the way, but I still have a few questions I could not easily find answers to.

1. I bought one of those 'carbonater caps' for use on soda bottles so that I can make seltzer. I am thinking about doing a few bottles of water at different volumes so that I can get an idea what different carb levels look like. Is volumes into water going to give me an idea what volumes into beer looks and tastes like, or will there be a difference due to sugars, proteins or something different in beer?
  2. I am reading up about balancing draft lines, and it mostly makes sense but I want to clarify a few things. This brew is going to be kegged and driven to a party an hour away. I am planning on filling a large bucket with ice and water to put the keg into to keep it cold:
    • Should I calculate PSI/volumes at roughly 32F since it will be in an ice bath? Maybe a little warmer since it wont be fully submerged?
    • I am concerned with cutting the hose too long or short. I guess the hose is cheap and I can replace it when I hook up a kegerator. But once my beer is carbed to the proper volumes, transported and sitting in the ice bath a few hours can I adjust the serving pressure to suit the line length and temperature? If its pouring really foamy just dial back the serving pressure a bit?
  3. What kind of time frame should I plan for if I want this drinkable on the 21st. I am planning on 'quick method' force carbing, fining in the keg with geletin, pulling off several pints to remove sediment before transport. Do I need a week kegging? 3 days? Any insight from experience will be greatly helpful.

Another quick update, hopefully I won't get accused of thread hogging :eek:. I have been smelling the gas coming from the airlock several times, and it went from sweet and malty yesterday to a little less sweet and a little more fruity today. The fruit aroma is becoming stronger but I thought it might just be the orange blossom honey I used. It smelled very familiar, I was just having a hard time putting my finger on it. Just now I went back down to smell it again and it hit me! :ban::ban::ban:! Bananas! The smell reminds me of artificial banana candy, or possibly bananas when they start to go brown. :(

I am surprised because its fermenting at around 67F. I did start it around 72F for 12 hours right after pitching but then brought it from the machine room to the finished basement. The thermostat is set to 65F in there but the thermometer on top of the fermenter says 67-68F tops. Temp range for the yeast says 65-70F.

The unfinished basement has a door out to the garage, so I dropped the thermostat to 60F and opened the door to the garage for 10 minutes to try to drop the temp quick in hopes that the rest of the ferment will go a bit cooler, and the sweet banana smell will disappear. Hopefully cooler temps wont affect the ferment much other than speed (which is unfortunate because I'm trying to rush this batch).

Tonight marks 10 days in the fermenter. I just took a gravity reading and it came in around 1.010-1.011 which should put it at around 6.5% alcohol. The beer tastes great, it tastes like it fully fermented out. It's lightly spicy from the all spice. It actually has a hint of cinnamon even though I didn't use any. I'm gonna take another reading on saturday, and if it hasn't moved I'll probably keg this weekend.

Original plan was to keg Monday or Tuesday but that would only leave me 4-5 days until the party. I'd like to leave myself more time to keg especially since I haven't ever kegged before. Wish me luck!:D

So I think I had my priorities a little backwards. I took a second reading Friday night, a little over 36 hours and it hadn't budged. My initial plan was to cold crash in the keg but I want as little sediment as possible so I chose to cold crash in the primary instead. This way I can precipitate more trub and chill haze before I rack it to the keg.

Friday night I put the primary into a fridge at 36-37F. Sunday morning was 36 hours since crashing and I fined with 1 packet of gelatin in 1 cup of water. Tomorrow morning is 48 more hours since fining and I plan to rack to the keg, wash the yeast, and carb at 30psi for 36 hours. I will drop the psi to about 12 for the remainder of the week until the party on Saturday. I am down to 4 days till the party so I am hoping this will be a happy medium between sloshing the keg all around and taking to long to carb at the proper levels.

I read up about balancing my keg lines, and swapped out my 5/16 beer line the LHBS gave me for some 3/16 which should drop about 3psi/foot allowing me to serve out of my 4 foot picnic tap at the proper serving pressure of 12psi.

On a side note I bottled a 6 pack with natural carbonation while taking the final OG reading, and before I cold crashed. I will probably end up with more like 4 gallons in the keg. I tasted the sample and even though it was warm and flat it tasted pretty good for such a young spiced ale. The spice was there but not up front. It was very malty, slightly bitter, and very dry. No off flavors at all. In my opinion there was just that slight something missing that I tend to find when using extract (compared to a friends all grain). The two other people that I shared my sample with were really impressed though. I'm really looking forward to tasting it cold and carbed up! Hoping my '48 Hour Method' will have it carbed and ready for testing by Thursday/Friday night!

Sorry I haven't seen this thread before and commented on it until now, but one thing I wanted to point out from your first post is you said your OG was higher than you thought it should have been. The reason for that since the wort (the boiled water with LME in it) is thicker than the top off water (the 2 gallons you steeped grain in) they don't always mix well together especially when cooled. It is possible you pulled your sample from a part that was more wort than water so your reading will be a bit off. After plugging your grain bill into Beersmith2 I got about 1.050 for an OG (really close to what the recipe is calling for) and I would guess that is really close to what your actual OG was. I mainly just wanted to point that out as something to keep in mind if you are going to stay with partial boil extract brews.

Other than that it sounds like it will be a great beer, and I hope it really turns out great for your party. :mug:

I hadn't thought of plugging it into BeerSmith, but that's a good idea! I just paid for a license a few days ago, so I should put it to good use. I see what you mean about different gravities and different temperatures but I siphoned maybe half of the 3.5 gallon boil off the trub at a height to make it splash, poured the cooler lower gravity 2 gallon boil really hard to splash it around, then siphoned the rest of the warmer 3.5 gallon boil from a height again to make the stream splash around. I took the reading after all the foam had died down a bit and right before I pitched the yeast. If I remember right I fermented in my bottling bucket and used the spigot to fill my hydrometer tube from the bottom of the bucket. All that agitation for aeration makes me think it mixed fairly well though you still could be right.

Other than having a lower ABV what else should I consider in terms of labeling and serving it to guests?

Not sure how long it took for the foam to die down but I know on the Wee Heavy I have sitting in my fermentor right now even though I mixed the wort and top off water together very well ( poured some wort, added some top off water, poured rest of wort, shook like crazy, added rest of top off water, and shook it even more until foam was almost flowing out of carboy) I noticed after a couple of hours the wort in the bottom half of the carboy was really dark brown (almost pitch black) and the top half was a light brown. So if yours sat long enough it might have separated some.

Cool thing about the way mine separated i could see every day the yeast working their way down the beer (wish the pics turned out); every day the dark portion would be less and the lighter portion would be more and in between the two a thin tan line that was the yeast working their way down.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the labeling and serving portion, I haven't bothered with labeling/naming mine and just hand them a glass for them to try.

So kegging went extremely smoothly, even being nervous on my first time! The only thing I did wrong was to not purge the keg after filling it :eek:. I purged before filling and didn't make much disturbance while filling though, so I am hoping there was still a blanket of CO2 in there. Even still, I am expecting the keg to get kicked in 1.5 days so oxidation wont matter, but lesson learned.

I racked between 4.7 and 4.8 gallons to the keg, set the tank to 30 psi for about 33 hours, then backed it down to serving pressure at 12 psi until the party. It has been at 12 psi for about 25 hours now, so I went downstairs to both see if there was sediment and test the carbonation level. The first 3-4 ounces I poured at 12 psi was very foamy with a lot of haze. I reset everything to 10 psi and continued pouring into my 'trash' cup (I did drink the 'trash' cup also, lol). The pour was much smoother with less foam, and I saw the beer start pouring clear. I then poured myself a small 8oz glass and started snapping pics!

image-61644.jpeg

After taking 6-8 ounces of cloudy beer off, I poured my first glass at 10psi from a picnic tap. I am holding the glass up to the light to check for cut, color and clarity :p.

image_1-61645.jpeg

I am astounded at how clear it looks. I put the glass down and see what I can see behind the glass. The head is looking good as well!

image_2-61646.jpeg

It's hard to tell what I am looking at so I take a strip of black paper and see it clearly through the glass. I will definitely consider using gelatin to fine the beer again!

image_3-61647.jpeg

The head has a creamy tan color with lots of very small closely packed bubbles. Aroma is slightly sweet, more malty than bitter, next to zero hop aroma, with a slight spiciness from the allspice

image_4-61648.jpeg

After 2 sips, the glass is lacing nicely. The head has dropped to basically nothing though; I am sure the tiny layer that is left is due to the etching in the bottom of the glass releasing a tiny steady stream of CO2. Maybe I had some type of oil or residue on my lips, since the head died as soon as I took a taste.

image_6-61650.jpeg

I take the last sip, smile and set the glass down. Take some advice and "LOOK AT THE LACING!". I am still not completely satisfied, it feels like there is something missing right in the middle of the flavor profile, but overall I am very happy with how it turned out given the time constraints. This is something I would serve to friends and family under the assumption that I am still novice and still learning. I wouldn't say it's ready to enter a competition, but I do think it's up there at the top of my list of my best brews.

I was thinking about Trox's comments about improper mixing and skewed OG readings, and fearing the worst but I have a nice little buzz going on right now after guzzling about 16 ounces. I have no problem believing this brew is roughly 6.5abv like I measured, and my SG readings were more accurate than skewed. That being said I will definitely take Trox's advice into account in the future, I can absolutely see where different gravity/temp liquids won't mix well, I just lucked out this time! XD

Maybe I will update after the party with a general consensus?

Last night's party went off wonderfully, I showed up a bit early and set up the keg in an ice bath. It took about 2 hours but the keg started pouring clear for the rest of the night. I showed up with probably around 4.5 gallons, and although the keg didn't kick I probably only have a half gallon or less. I had the host put an empty growler in the freezer (to reduce foaming, learned this the hard way), and filled up a half gallon for him before I left.

Pretty much everyone wanted to at least taste it, though most were somewhat hesitant at first. I kept getting asked "You MADE beer? At home??? How...?". Not everyone likes beer, and not all beer drinkers like a darker full bodied spiced ale. Even still I kept getting rave reviews which was cool. Some people were telling me to open a brewery, haha! It was a party for family and friends so I felt like they were obligated to tell me it was good, but the numbers don't lie. 4+ gallons were drank last night.

Lastly, here are a few pictures from the party. I was planning on using one of those low buckets with rope handles to put the keg in, come to find out we gave it away a few years ago. In a panic I ran to lowes and found a 10 gallon beverage cooler which fits the keg perfectly. I also now have a brand new mash tun! Win/win!
keg-set-up-61660.jpeg

I also wanted to get a picture of the whole bar.
keg-at-bar-61661.jpeg

The neat thing about using a 10 gallon beverage cooler mash tun to keep the keg cold is that as more people poured pints, the keg would float straight up without tipping over. The ice and water I packed around the keg formed a sort of ring or collar that kept the keg upright. I also like that the mash tun can serve a double purpose!

Back