First brew ever turns out fantastic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Purpose of posting this is just to tell someone how well everything turned out! None of my friends would really appreciate how cool homebrew really is. (buncha Miller Lite drinking chumps!) Haha! First brew is an American Wheat (grains, extract and Cascade hops). Built a 2 tap kegerater and tapped MY beer last night! Definitly had rookie home brew patients and quick carbed my corny (30psi 24hrs 20psi 48hrs and now down to 12psi) and it all ended up great. Beer is still a tad bit green but still outstanding! Wasn't expecting this but it tastes very similar to New Belgiums Seasonal "Mighty Arrow" Pics of my success...

DSC04008.jpg

DSC04005.jpg

Nice!...the head you have on that pint of ale looks fantasic!

I just got myself a keg set up and now I need a fridge...how hard was the conversion to turn it into a kegerator?

As for your buddies...their loss! Gotta love those guys who swear by their favourite fizzy lite lager!

Thanks man. Super easy. As long as you have a drill, right size hole saw and a crescent wrench you'll be done in 30mins. And yes, their loss. Ha! Got any recipe suggestions? Already wanting to do another. Quite addicting!

Congrats, man. I started about 6 months ago and I'm completely hooked on the hobby.

Most of my friends are a lot like yours, but I've made a blonde ale that is pretty light and it's been a huge hit at parties. I keep making batches of it because it goes so fast. It's my way of appealing to what they like, but showing them what a decent beer is. It's become a gateway for a couple of those guys to realize they like better beer.

Thanks! I was definitely thinking about a blonde next. Still pretty new to this, is your recipe pretty easy? My only brew has been an extract kit, just some specialty grains, extract, hops and finishing hops. Suggestions?

Ah, a fellow Wisconsinite. Howdy Doo. The book "The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing" has a ton of different recipe's and is fun reading also. After you get comfortable with how things are going and want to step it up a notch... the book "Extreme Brewing" by the owner of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery is a hoot. There are things in there that could blow the taste buds right off of a Miller Light drinker! In fact my next one is going to come right out of there except for the hopping. I'll have lots of homegrown hops of unknown variety that I'll use.

Cheers!

Thanks! I was definitely thinking about a blonde next. Still pretty new to this, is your recipe pretty easy? My only brew has been an extract kit, just some specialty grains, extract, hops and finishing hops. Suggestions?

This is the recipe for the beer I make. I'm sure there are lots of better recipes for a Blonde/Summer Ale out there, but like I said, this has been a huge hit among BMC-drinking friends.

It's good to have around because a lot of them think homebrew is fascinating, but I don't want them drinking all my dunkelweizens or imperial IPA's if they don't appreciate it. I've had a couple of them graduate to better beers as a result of liking this beer, though. I think the yeast is the key. Most of them aren't used to drinking beer with a distinct flavor.

For a 5 gallon batch:

1 lb Crystal 10L (steep)
6 lbs Golden Light DME
1 lbs Wheat DME

1/2 oz Centennial 60 min
1/2 oz Centennial 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial 10 min

Irish Moss in last 5 minutes for clarity

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Ah, a fellow Wisconsinite. Howdy Doo. The book "The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing" has a ton of different recipe's and is fun reading also. After you get comfortable with how things are going and want to step it up a notch... the book "Extreme Brewing" by the owner of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery is a hoot. There are things in there that could blow the taste buds right off of a Miller Light drinker! In fact my next one is going to come right out of there except for the hopping. I'll have lots of homegrown hops of unknown variety that I'll use.

Cheers!

Ill look into it. Thanks! Ive got a Brew n Grow in my area, if not a place like that, where do all these brewers get their ingredients? Online? And where's Ettrick? Never heard of it.

This is the recipe for the beer I make. I'm sure there are lots of better recipes for a Blonde/Summer Ale out there, but like I said, this has been a huge hit among BMC-drinking friends.

It's good to have around because a lot of them think homebrew is fascinating, but I don't want them drinking all my dunkelweizens or imperial IPA's if they don't appreciate it. I've had a couple of them graduate to better beers as a result of liking this beer, though. I think the yeast is the key. Most of them aren't used to drinking beer with a distinct flavor.

For a 5 gallon batch:

1 lb Crystal 10L (steep)
6 lbs Golden Light DME
1 lbs Wheat DME

1/2 oz Centennial 60 min
1/2 oz Centennial 30 min
1/2 oz Centennial 10 min

Irish Moss in last 5 minutes for clarity

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Sounds easy enough. Thanks! Had a buddy of mine suggest Irish Moss too. Work that well?

Mail order off the net. Lots of places and worth shopping around for deals. The bigger places go through a lot of product so turn over is fast and you get fresher stuff. I have no problem getting "bulk" malt from a big outfit, but sometimes it sits awhile at the little shop and isn't as fresh. Ettrick is about 40 miles north of La Crosse. I have a cousin that is a good friend of mine that lives by you in Eagle.

Good to know. whats the shelf life on most materials? Eagle hey? I drive through there daily. If you've ever been there Im sure you've been to Knuckleheads and Sumers! The only two bars! I'll never forget Sumers (used to be called Stumble Inn) Its where I went on my 21st Bday. To make a long story short, I got punched in the face and kicked out for drunkinly makin' out and motorboatin' some bikers wife!

Latest posts

Back