First brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbrewer1

Reaction score
well it's that time. Got a bit later start than i would have liked but i am getting started on my first brew ever, from grain that i malted myself. :) got the mash water heating now. I am doing 2.5 gallons with 5lbs of pale barley malt, no crystal malts or anything with 1 oz glacier pellt hops 5.4% AA. wish me luck guys!

got 5lbs of organic barley from amazon( not sure what type) and cleaned, soak for 8 hrs, let air rest for 8 hrs, soak for 8 hrs air rest for 8 hrs soak one last time for 8 hrs. it was chitting( small white spots on end of grain. then put in pans in cool area spread out evenly and spritzed with water and turned every so often( did mine once an hr while i was home and awake, spritzed and covered while i was gone/asleep) did that for about 2 days. the acrospire was about 75-80% of the seed length so i put in pans with as thin a layer as i could and put in oven with just oven light on for about 1.5 days. this dried the malt. ran over a screen by hand to remove the rootlets and crushed with a hammer in a pillow case on the back concrete patio :) that is as good a method as i could get without spending money to buy stuf to make a grain dryer and getting a grain mill

Awesome AZbrewer1! This is the next thing I am going to do. I am researching it like a madman right now.

Are you sure the barely you got is for malting? It really doesn’t matter to much, right it is an awesome experiment weather it comes out amazing or not.

You should get the same recipe and buy malted barley and taste the difference you never know it might be better.

WE NEED PICTURES THOUGH!
KUDOS!

not sure if it was for malting or not...unfortunatly there is only one place nearby to get barley garin that can be germinated and i found that place well after i had ordered this stuff. will try to get a few pics up later

well took pre boil gravity ...it was 1.020 adjusted for temp...would you guys say that was really low? it's about 3.5 gals of wort. i am considering adding some unsulphered molassas to bring up the sugar content. when would the best time to addd this be? i have about 1lb of the molasses

well 3/4 of ounce glacier hops added ( 5.6% AA) and i added 1lb of molasses to the mix. wish me luck this doesn't turn out too crappy

Latest posts

Back