First Brew - Coopers Australian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
Hi folks!

It's my very first brew/post!

I purchased the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit with a 1.2kg bag of dextrose. The requirements say 500g light dry malt + 250 dextrose may be used for this 5gal batch. At the home brew store, they told me just dextrose would be fine for my first batch. If this is true, how much initial sugar do I add to the wort?

I plan on mixing the LME, dextrose and yeast in my bucket, then pouring it into my carboy so I can watch it ferment. Then I will rack it back into the bucket to add my priming sugar before bottling. How much priming sugar should I use at this stage considering I'm not going to be using light dry malt in the first stage?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I think we're missing a few steps here, hops and boiling?

Anyway, for a 5 gallon batch 4-5 oz ( about 115g) of priming sugar is good for bottling.

Thanks for the reply, that will help me during priming.

The only boiling water wanted for this kit is to help get the LME out of the jar.

I'd love to move onto hops and grains but I'm keeping it simple for my first run, also to get a base for tasting the difference once I start adding hops.

You can find a video of someone using this kit here (but he doesn't say how much sugar is being added and uses tablets for priming):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3IGCxu6tk[/ame]

I'm wondering how much sugar to add after the LME during primary fermentation. :mug:

Hi folks!

It's my very first brew/post!

I purchased the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit with a 1.2kg bag of dextrose. The requirements say 500g light dry malt + 250 dextrose may be used for this 5gal batch. At the home brew store, they told me just dextrose would be fine for my first batch. If this is true, how much initial sugar do I add to the wort?

I plan on mixing the LME, dextrose and yeast in my bucket, then pouring it into my carboy so I can watch it ferment. Then I will rack it back into the bucket to add my priming sugar before bottling. How much priming sugar should I use at this stage considering I'm not going to be using light dry malt in the first stage?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Dextrose, (cane sugar), will add 46 gravity points per gallon. Light dry malt, (AKA; Dry Malt Extract or Spray Malt), will add 44 gravity points per gallon. You could add 480 grams + 250 grams of sugar to keep the specific gravity at the same level.

Also look up Brew Enhancer 1 and Brew Enhancer 2 for more info on variations to these recipes.

You will need to dissolve the DME and sugar in boiling water to get a good mix with the LME. Cool to fermentation temperature before pitching the yeast. Adding all sugar, instead of the combination of DME and sugar will result in a thinner drier beer. Might be just what yo will enjoy though.

You can also change the finished product by brewing less volume. If this recipe is for 23 liters, brew it as 19 liters for a higher ABV and more body. The Coopers forum has more information also.
https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/

The yeast does not need to mixed with the other ingredients in the bucket. The yeast, rehydrated or dry for low OG beers, can be added directly to the carboy after the other ingredients. Aerate well before pitching the yeast.

Thanks for the tips and info.

I will go ahead and add 730g of sugar, instead of 500g light dry malt 250g sugar!

:mug:

Back