First brew bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traz1986

Reaction score
Well, my fist brew is nearly complete, everything is in bottles for the final conditioning. Learned a few lessons to make it much smoother next time. Not the least of which was to make sure the auto siphon can reach the bottom of the beer... After my first 6 bottles, I was sucking air and had to transfer to a bucket to continue the bottling, needless to say they are a little cloudy. I did manage to save a glass of the first siphon and it seemed a bit weak and tasteless. Is it possible to over ferment? It was only 3 weeks for the primary and secondary combined. FG ended up at 1.007 @ 65degrees. I was brewing a Kolsch.

image.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the cloudyness, it will settle with time. Besides some cloudyness doesn't matter much if the beer tastes good. About the taste issues, wait a week or two until the beer's fully carbonated before making any final judgements. I've run into this myself too (Hmmm... the beer seems to be okay but where's the taste?). I'm no kölsch-expert but I have learned it should finish pretty dry, so I don't think a FG of 1.007 is too low.

first - congrats on the first brew!

You absolutely made beer. That is most of the battle and all of the fun.

Not likely you over-fermented as you put it. Definitely a lower final gravity, should be nice and dry.

What was your recipe and process?

I agree with GardenElf. Wait for carbonation before you worry about the taste too much. There us something about the carbonation which changes the perception of what the beer tastes like.

Congratulations on making beer!

Latest posts

Back