first blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcnyyfan

Reaction score
I think I might need my first blow off tube. I brewed yesterday and tonight I noticed the krausen sneaking into the airlock. It's been bubbling since about two hours after I put it I will the fermenter. It's going like crazy right now. This is my second beer doing extract brewing with grains. Everything before that was with pre hopped extracts. Something I have noticed is I get better yeast reactions using the grains over pre hopped extract.

I usually use a blowoff tube for the first few days of fermentation. Better safe than sorry. Rather take he extra minute fitting the tubing than hours if cleanup plus losing a brew to it exploding all over the room.

I'd stick a hose on just to be safe. I had to use one for the first time last brew and it saved my a$$. The 30 seconds it takes is well worth the assurance that you won't have explosive wort sprayed all over the ceiling and walls.

I've done a couple batches needing to use a blow off tube, and unfortunately this same problem has happen to me before. How much damage does anyone feel if I have had a minor accident of the airlock popping off before the blow off tube was added? Today it probably was off for 30-60 min. Once the tube was added, the fermentation kept rumbling at a steady pace. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. It's happen before and I never tasted too much of a difference. I think from now, I'll just default to the tube for the first couple days. Cheers!!! :mug:

I think you'll be fine during active fermentation the yeast are putting out so much co2 that no airborne contaminate would really have a chance to get in and do damage. The major concern would be fruit fly or other insect getting in and bringing bacteria with it but I think you'll be fine it's not as if you have the entire lid off the bucket which has happened to others and the resulting beer turned out fine for them. I think you'll be alright

RDWHAHB

Cheers

Thanks for the assurance, GilSwil!!! Didn't think it would be too much trouble, but wanted to ask. Thanks again!!

Back