first big beer... a few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
So i made a monster IIPA last month. BRY-97 (1pkg) The original brix read 22. Four and a half weeks later my brix reading is 8. WITH THE ADJUSTMENT for alcohol, it comes out to around 12%. upon tasting it comes off a bit too sweet. Is it normal for such large beers to taste that sweet early? the bitterness is right where i would want it. will the sweetness mellow out over time? is this a sign i need to add more yeast? i hit all my numbers. ill post the recipe for you to see what you think. thanks for the help!

12 lbs - American 2-row
2 lbs - Pilsen DME
1 lb - Victory malt
1 lb - Cara Foam
8 oz - Crystal 10
8 oz - Crystal 20
8 oz - Honey malt

1 pkg BRY-97 re-hydrated

1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 whirlfloc tablet

4 oz hops in boil

willamette
galaxy
nelson sauvin
mosaic

4 oz for dry hop

mosaic
au topaz
galaxy

mashed in and held at 152 for 1 hr
boiled 1 hour
fermented 65 deg F

o.b. 22
f.b. 8 (before alcohol adjustment)
abv Around 12%

I am not an expert on Brix, but using a conversion table it appears your OG would be about 1.092 and your FG about 1.032. If that is correct, your apparent attenuation was about 65%, with an ABV around 7.9%. I suspect the relatively large amount of residual sugars may be leading to the sweet flavor.

I'll add, that alcohol can also have a sweet flavor, so it is possible that the alcohol flavor will mellow over a time and perhaps reduce the sweetness.

I'm not a fan of refractometer readings for FG even with proper conversion, take a hydrometer reading and I'll bet it hasn't finished yet. Raise the temp and rouse the yeast

I think OP is using a refractometer. He measured 8 brix and used a calculator to correct for the presence of alcohol and arrived at an FG of .56 brix/plato. That would give him his 12.x% alcohol. I wouldn't trust the refractometer and calculator in this case (or any case for FG). Unless you have an impressive infection I doubt an ale yeast could take down a wort mashed at 152 down to .56 brix. I suggest measuring your FG again with a hydrometer.

that half pound of honey malt would make itself known.

Sounds like you under pitched and the yeast crapped out most likely, leaving lots of unfermented sugars behind.

what would happen if i added more yeast at this point? its been almost five weeks since original pitch. i dont want a yeasty brew either. i dont have a test tube to take hydro readings right now. so a thief and refract is all i have. what would you all do in this case? again its not TOO sweet just a bit more then i would want. there is also no alcohol burn or flavor either. i racked the brew to a secondary for dry hopping and to get it out of the dirty one that was blown up from fermentation.
EDIT:

i turned the temp back up after crashing and racking to 66. the fermentation seems complete.

I would leave it. Carbonation will make it more bitter and less sweet.

You have a lb of crystal, and a lb of cara, I think it will be a mite sweet, but good with all of the hop bitterness.

Don't eff with it.

something isn't right here.

22 brix --> 8 brix, corrected, is 1.093 OG --> 0.995 FG according to two different online calculators. a beer this big with that much crystal and DME can't end below 1.000 without bugs. by the way, 1.093 --> 0.994 = 13.4% ABV.

furthermore, to get a 12% beeer from 22 brix/1.093 OG, you would need to get down to 1.004. at 12% and 1.004, this beer would not taste sweet - which is what the OP complained. it would taste hot and dry. yes, alcohol can impart an impression of sweetness - but not THAT much sweetness.

i'm wondering if there wasn't an error or two using the refract.

what would happen if i added more yeast at this point? its been almost five weeks since original pitch. i dont want a yeasty brew either. i dont have a test tube to take hydro readings right now. so a thief and refract is all i have. what would you all do in this case? again its not TOO sweet just a bit more then i would want. there is also no alcohol burn or flavor either. i racked the brew to a secondary for dry hopping and to get it out of the dirty one that was blown up from fermentation.
EDIT:

i turned the temp back up after crashing and racking to 66. the fermentation seems complete.

I use my thief all the time to take hydro readings....

Take a sample....drop the hydrometer into the thief...

the more i taste it the more i realize its not as bad as i thought. there is a whisper of heat from the alcohol which tastes and feels high in content. with carbonation i m betting this beer will be pretty drinkable but again still strong. in a month this beer will be best. thanks for any input so far. cheers

Big beers like this are usually drinkable after a few months but get better with age. It might take a year for you to find it's really peaked.

sweetcell said:
this is generally true, but doesn't hold for IIPA's. most people like to drink them fresh, before the hops fade.

You're right. I forgot which "big beer" thread I was in for a minute. Honestly with the grain bill and the abv it's likely this is more of a barley wine anyway.

Back