Quantcast

First BIAB did not go so well

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tmoney645

Reaction score
I found out this weekend while doing my second BIAB that the thermometer I used last time was way off. So I was mashing at like 163-168... I took a sample, its at 1.010 really thin and sweet. I guess I will bottle it up and see how it turns out when cold and carbed. Don't use a a cheap thermometer, lesson learned.

jarnock

Reaction score
I too have the been the victim of bad thermometers, but not on beer - on my BBQ. It is one of the most frustrating things and when you finally realize it is the thermometer it is even more frustrating. I lost 4 racks of ribs before I realized this. I can't imagine losing the time I invested on an all grain batch!

brplatz

Reaction score
Reminds me, my thermometer looks like it has bubbles in it. Probably should go pick up a digital anyway

Sorry to hear man, that sucks majorly

cooper

Reaction score
if you were actually mashing at 163-168 you'd have lots of unfermentable sugars so it would be cloyingly sweet, not really dry. It should have finished above 1.020 when mashing that high I would think.

OP
T

tmoney645

Reaction score
It was a really cheap grain bill, so not a huge loss, but I am still pretty bummed. It smells pretty good, so maybe after a few of my good brews I will be a able to choke it down

zeg

Reaction score
Life's too short to drink bad beer... If you can't bear to part with it, stick it in a closet and maybe it'll be better in a few months. Or cook with it.