First Belgian Wit attempt + partial mash. Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Check out this recipe I put together for a partial mash Belgian Wit. I tried to glean lessons from reading HBT threads, etc. I'm looking for a beer with a little bit of body--i.e., not too thin.

Just for fun, I'm going to dry hop half the batch with .5oz of Citra. Any thoughts on the recipe?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1689063

Thanks.

Looks fine to me.

I usually toss my coriander and zest in with about 10 minutes left in the boil, but that is personal preference on taste, not some sort of rule. I also like a little noble hop for a little flavor complexity near the end.

The fermentation is really the key. Do you have a way to ramp the temp up - say 68 or so up to 75+? Fermenting at room temp will make a perfectly nice beer, but ramping the temp up a bit can help bring out that belgian yeast funk and really set the brew apart.

Looks fine to me.

I usually toss my coriander and zest in with about 10 minutes left in the boil, but that is personal preference on taste, not some sort of rule. I also like a little noble hop for a little flavor complexity near the end.

The fermentation is really the key. Do you have a way to ramp the temp up - say 68 or so up to 75+? Fermenting at room temp will make a perfectly nice beer, but ramping the temp up a bit can help bring out that belgian yeast funk and really set the brew apart.

I think I'll probably add the coriander and zest after I take off the boil, since I dont have a chiller. It's worked with me for hopping IPAs and pale ales, so hopefully it'll do the same here.

I definitely don't have a systematic method, but it's still chilly enough for me to open a window to my office overnight and keep the beer at 66-68. (I'll be using WLP410 harvested from Ommegang bottles.) After 24 hours, I'll close the window and let the temp rise to 71-72.

Thanks for your help.

When you are letting it free rise, anything you can do to insulate will help drive the temps up. eg wrapping a sleeping bag around the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back