First Beer Kit ???'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwoodforge

Reaction score
Ok So I have made the jump from cider & wine to Beer, thought I'd give it a shot. I got a kit from Northern Brewer for a Schwarzbier , I'm planning on putting it together this Sunday, what should I watch out for and what am I most likely to screw up ?

Jens

Some mistakes from my first batch:

Sometime NB gives you packages of 1oz hops, even if the recipe only calls for 0.5oz. So don't just dump in the bags assuming that it's the correct amount. Probably not a big deal (it wasn't when I made that mistake), but it's something to look out for.

Also, be sure to take the kettle off of the heat before adding extract!!!! I also learned that one the hard way ... hours of scrubbing the char off of the bottom of my kettle.

Good luck!

I'm going to make my first beer from a kit this weekend too. I got a Brewer's Best Scotch Ale kit with crushed grains and extract.

I have a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein going in my carboy at the moment. It has about 2 weeks left, if everything goes according to schedule. My plan is to get the BB Scotch Ale kit into the primary Ale Pail on Saturday, and have it in there 14 days, or until the Apfelwein reaches FG. I am going to bottle the Apflewein into 22oz. bottles and then, after sanitizing of course, rack the Scotch Ale to the carboy for secondary.

That's the plan anyways. Hopefully all will go accordingly:eek: .

Back