First beer has odd remnent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perkt

Reaction score
So I used a kit for my first beer (Brewers Best - English Brown). The recipe called for a short fermentation, somewhere around 8 days, and 2 weeks of sitting in bottles before being able to cool and drink.

Tonight was that night when I was able to try my first brew, and it tastes fine...maybe a little stronger alcohol flavor than anticipated, but certainly beats the pants off of some flavorless pilsner consumed around the country every day.

My concern comes with what is floating in the beer. The bottle clearly had some "gunk" sitting in the bottom, and I am seeing this in each bottle and growler that was filled, and the beer, while drinkable, left some of this in the bottom of the glass. Attached are pictures, any information on what this might be and how to avoid this in the future would be much appreciated! Learning so much each day from reading through Papazian's text, Beersmith's pod casts, and of course experiencing what a brew day and fermentation process is made up of.

*please excuse the poor quality of the pictures, used my phone and that lead to a very fuzzy picture*

IMAG0412.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

All homebrews have "gunk" on the bottom. Go to youtube and look up "shoulder pour" and it will minimize the amount you intake. They are harmless however.

There's also special caps that they sell online that will trap the floaties eliminating them from your beer. I find that a waste of money though.

I'd say it's brewer's yeast. People pay good money for that at the health food store as a dietary supplement and you're getting it for free! It may cause a little digestive upset until your system gets used to it but it won't hurt you.

Back