First batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDaddio

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon a friend and I began our first batch. The guy at the shop suggested three or four beers he recommended for first timers, and we chose the Hefe.

This morning there doesn't seem to be much (any) action (pitched yeast around 11pm), but we've been told not to panic until 24 hours has passed or so.

What we think may be holding it up: We pulled the yeast (WLP300) out of the fridge when the instructions told us to pitch it.

Then we read the package which said to pull it out of the fridge a few hours before pitching. Oops.

It was already 11pm by this time and I warmed it in my hands for a while and shook it. When we pitched it it was no longer cold, so we threw it in and hoped for the best.

Here's a picture of it from this morning:

5877217739_8c1d957542_z.jpg

Hopefully we see some action with it tonight!

Not sure what to do if nothing happens by tomorrow morning.

joe

It took some time, but 24 hours in and those little yeast were kicking some butt!

Edit to add image:

i-Gm2nWjT-L.jpg

joe

Looking good! If you don't give the yeast time to warm up or make a starter, sometimes they'll take a while to get moving. They were taking a nap in the fridge until you so rudely interrupted them.

Looking good! If you don't give the yeast time to warm up or make a starter, sometimes they'll take a while to get moving. They were taking a nap in the fridge until you so rudely interrupted them.

I'm just glad they woke up hungry :)

And yes, that's sanitizer in the bucket and airlock. We weren't using it for anything so we figured we'd use it as our blowout :)

joe

WELL DONE!:tank: this was the first beer I brewed as well. Wife said it made the house smell like bread and death.:D

You should not panic much over seeing the airlock bubble. As long as you have sanitized everything then things will be fine. Every beer is drinkable, just some I won't. enjoy the start to your brewing

Back