First batch this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Well going to try to get my first batch started this weekend. Heading up to Blackstone Valley brewing. Wondering if any of the locals know if they carry Better Bottles? Am thinking I would go with the 6.5 g. Good choice as my first fernenter? Will start adding each week from there.

You can also use a blow off tube with a smaller fermenter (a tube that sticks out the top with the other end in a bucket of sanitizer). You'll also want a 5gal for a secondary (if you plan to secondary your beer).

Per the recommendation of Steve at blackstone valley brewing I ended up going with a 6 gallon glass carboy. He got me setup with everything to get my first batch rolling. Went with the Irish Red Ale kit they made up at the store. Gonna start it up tomorrow.

Right on! Have fun. You may want to try and get a blowoff tube on their like they said. That Irish Red may be somewhat violent in fermentation and might get messy with a 6 gallon container.

In the kit is a muslin bag plus 1/2# crystal malt and 1/4# roasted barley. Does the make this a partial mash kit?

well finished up my first batch today and it really was not that bad. Couple questions.

In pouring the wort into the funnel with strainer, the wort clogged it almost immediately. I used my stirring spoon to keep clearing it but it took a long time. Is there a better method I should be using?

Been about 5 hours, should I be seeing any activity? I hydrated the yeast in advance.

Note this is an Irish Red.

Two choices... either use a hop bag to contain the hops, so that they don't get in the way when you're pouring... or take out the strainer and let it all go in.

5 hours is way too soon to start worrying about it. I am guessing by tomorrow morning you'll see some bubbling. If it goes 2-3 days without a bubble, you'll need to get some new yeast in there.

Congrats on the first batch!!

Two choices... either use a hop bag to contain the hops, so that they don't get in the way when you're pouring... or take out the strainer and let it all go in.

5 hours is way too soon to start worrying about it. I am guessing by tomorrow morning you'll see some bubbling. If it goes 2-3 days without a bubble, you'll need to get some new yeast in there.

Congrats on the first batch!!

Ok the hop bag might be the way to go. Can you keep adding to those bags? For the aroma steps. Recommendation on where I can get that type of bag and also where can I get a carboy carrier/cover?

I will be patient on the fermentation time. Last time I used a pail which forced the patience. Seeing it in the glass it looks so flat.

Ok the hop bag might be the way to go. Can you keep adding to those bags? For the aroma steps. Recommendation on where I can get that type of bag and also where can I get a carboy carrier/cover?

Search around here for hop bags and paint strainer bags, you'll find all the info you need.

Find a local brew store if you can. Big orders are worth it from mail order places, but shipping will get you for small stuff... plus it's definitely a piece of local economy that needs support, especially right now.

I will be patient on the fermentation time. Last time I used a pail which forced the patience. Seeing it in the glass it looks so flat.

I know, it's so damn hard... my first batch is juuust done with its primary fermentation, i'm only like 1/4 of the way to drinkable brew. Go faster, calendar!

Search around here for hop bags and paint strainer bags, you'll find all the info you need.

Find a local brew store if you can. Big orders are worth it from mail order places, but shipping will get you for small stuff... plus it's definitely a piece of local economy that needs support, especially right now.

I know, it's so damn hard... my first batch is juuust done with its primary fermentation, i'm only like 1/4 of the way to drinkable brew. Go faster, calendar!

Appreciate the info, I will probably wait to get these at my local shop. And I finally have a head starting on my brew. Not much but it is starting.

As I left the house today, there was nice CO2 action happening, so I think it is rolling nice now. :mug:

Back