New member, first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton from Piney

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a retiree in East Tennessee who’s been stalking the site for several months before actually brewing. I was gifted a wonderful Igloo cooler rig from a friend who gave up brewing (long story) and did my first batch, a blond ale, with the former brewer and another skilled guy who is approaching 200 batches. Dry hopping tomorrow, bottling next weekend. Let’s hope I done good!
IMG_1827.jpeg
IMG_1826.jpeg

Welcome. I take it you're using that light bulb as a heat source? If so, I'd recommend draping the fermenter in opaque trash bag (cut a little hole in the end for the airlock). Hop compounds (Isohumulone) plus light,* catalyzed by Riboflavin (from the yeast) can cause skunking.

*even some light in the visible range, not just UV

Welcome to the fun! You have an enviable jumping in place. Echoing @VikeMan I do wanna ask about the light bulb though; Is it an actual incandescent? It looks like it has an 'internal' bulb... if it's actually an LED, it won't provide the heat, if it's fourescent it'll produce more UV than you want near beer.
:bigmug:

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun! You have an enviable jumping in place. Echoing @VikeMan I do wanna ask about the light bulb though; Is it an actual incandescent? It looks like it has an 'internal' bulb... if it's actually an LED, it won't provide the heat, if it's fourescent it'll produce more UV than you want near beer.
:bigmug:
It’s an incandescent. I have a stash.

Welcome. I take it you're using that light bulb as a heat source? If so, I'd recommend draping the fermenter in opaque trash bag (cut a little hole in the end for the airlock). Hop compounds (Isohumulone) plus light,* catalyzed by Riboflavin (from the yeast) can cause skunking.

*even some light in the visible range, not just UV
Makes sense. Done. Thx for the tip.

Back