First batch questions from MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53sparks

Reaction score
This is my first post and today i started my first batch. I put my bittering hops in the boiling bag first as per directions, then added my finishing hops in the same bag is this the right thing to do or should i have used 2 different bags or does it really not matter? also i used dry yeast i stirred it in 2 cups warm water let it set, then stirred it in the cooled wort, is the stirring a bad thing? Thanks Guys i have learned a lot here. Thanks again Ron

It doesn't really matter too much with the hop bags. In the future you can use two(or more if the recipe has more hop additions) or just skip the bags altogether and just strain the wort through a fine mesh strainer after you've cooled it to pitching temp.

Did you boil then cool the water you rehydrated the yeast in?

yes i did boil the water first let it cool then put the yeast in? it is ok to stir the wort with the yeast in it? thanks ron

Welcome to HBT! :mug:
What you did is fine but as c.n.budz says having a hop bag for each addition will make it easier in your future brews.

Stirring the cooled wort will not cause a problem at all. Just remember anything touching the wort after it cools must be sanitized.

Back