First Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
I just checked my batch's gravity after a week in the 1st fermentor. It came in at 1.011, and it started at 1.048. Can I dry hop and move it to the 2nd fermentor or should I do a second reading in a couple of days?

Thanks in advance.

If the gravity is the same for 3 days in a row odds are you're done fermentation and can move to secondary and dry hop. Of course I'm the lazy type who just ties hops into a bag and throws them into the primary. As long as you don't leave the beer on the yeast for more than a month you're usually good on preventing off flavors.

If the gravity is the same for 3 days in a row odds are you're done fermentation and can move to secondary and dry hop. Of course I'm the lazy type who just ties hops into a bag and throws them into the primary. As long as you don't leave the beer on the yeast for more than a month you're usually good on preventing off flavors.

First you don't have to take 3 readings. Take one reading then another 2 days later. If they are the same then your good to go but most leave it another week.

Second there is nothing wrong with leaving the beer on the yeast for over a month. Many here have left it for several months for short aging or just because life got in the way... no problems.

Many in here dry hop in the primary (call it lazy if you want lol) In fact most I believe don't even bother with a secondary for most beers. Just leave it in primary for the extra time to clear up.

First you don't have to take 3 readings. Take one reading then another 2 days later. If they are the same then your good to go but most leave it another week.

Second there is nothing wrong with leaving the beer on the yeast for over a month. Many here have left it for several months for short aging or just because life got in the way... no problems.

Many in here dry hop in the primary (call it lazy if you want lol) In fact most I believe don't even bother with a secondary for most beers. Just leave it in primary for the extra time to clear up.

I always do mine that way. Just the 3 days is a general rule and I do a day 1, day 3 and day 5 (if needed)

I've heard many bad things about leaving beer on the lees too long. Of course with all things in homebrew you hear contradicting information.

And I primary dry hop as well, but some people prefer to move to secondary for various reasons.

IMHO one week in the primary is to short. Yes the yeast may have brought you down to the gravity you want but they do other jobs, like clearing up your beer. I agree with dry hopping in the primary. I am a total hop head. For the longest time I would always rack over. After reading many posts on the subject I gave it a try with a beer I have made before. No difference in the taste that I saw.

For those who dry hop in the 1st fermentor, my recipe calls for "dry hopping" 2 oz of ginger (ginger beer), would you guys still "dry hop" in the 1st?

Yup... sure would. I used to use a secondary for all my beers after 2 weeks in primary, then 3 to 5 days in secondary.

Now just 2 weeks in primary, cold crash in primary for 3 days, then into the kegs.

I do check my FG after 2 weeks, and have only had one beer in 3 years not all the way to my target FG. That was also my fault as I fermented at to low of a temp, and the yeasties were half asleep. So I warmed up the fermemnter and gave it a swirl and the fermentation finished out about 4 days later. :)

Gary

It sounds like it's close to FG at 1.011 from 1.048. Give it a week & check again. By then it should be settling out clear or slightly misty,as it should maybe drop 1 or 2 points. I dry hop in primary after that point myself. My pb/pm biab Cougar Country IPA came out every bit as good as a commercial craft IPA.

Back