First Batch on Mango Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhetz

Reaction score
I just separated the yeast and must out and am getting ready to wait for the mead to be finished. The recipe said 1-3 months. Any advice as to the benefits of waiting the full 3 months? It smelled quite delicious!

I think the thinking is a good wine improves with age... so waiting three months will make the wine better than drinking it today, but if the wine is really good then aging it six months will make it even better... but if the wine you made is just mediocre then aging another 3 months will just mean that the wine will just be older 3 months :(

Aging improves most wines... to a point. Without the tannins and acid to mellow like in some reds wines, most fruit wines (done with modern nutrients and techniques) are good To drink once it’s cleared and degassed. Aging for 6months will improve it, but past one year, a lot of them start to get diminishing return or start to go past their prime. But only your experience and taste can really determine when it’s “best”.

I think the thinking is a good wine improves with age... so waiting three months will make the wine better than drinking it today, but if the wine is really good then aging it six months will make it even better... but if the wine you made is just mediocre then aging another 3 months will just mean that the wine will just be older 3 months :(

Aging improves most wines... to a point. Without the tannins and acid to mellow like in some reds wines, most fruit wines (done with modern nutrients and techniques) are good To drink once it’s cleared and degassed. Aging for 6months will improve it, but past one year, a lot of them start to get diminishing return or start to go past their prime. But only your experience and taste can really determine when it’s “best”.

Thanks for the input! I have it marked on my calendar the month markers...I will taste at each!

I just bottled my mango and found it to be very acidic. Ill be waiting 6 months for sure. Still tasted great though. Steve

I just bottled my Mango Mead at 3 months. Personally, not my cup of tea! 9%abv, but..I will still count it as a success because my Mead-y friend were really enjoying it! Next time, I will try a different recipe!

It tastes acidic? Was fruit fermented in primary? I just made a Mango Habanero mead...tried a different approach than I normally do...made a 5 gal traditional mead @ 11.5% abv. Then split into (5) 1gal batches...one being Mango...i bought a bunch of mangos over a short period of time when on sale...cut them up and froze them...put them in secondary for about a week-ish...smelled and tasted vegetal!! But also like mangoes...and Habanero...after a month of sitting...all vegetal smeel/tatste went away and now tastes fresh smooth Mango...also used mango puree...was a little too pulp-y

No, not acidic...I just wasnt a fan. I did use puree in the primary. Next time, I will add fruit in secondary, maybe just not mango.😁

Back