First batch of apfelwein with one question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWhleDr

Reaction score
Just made my first batch following the popular recipe on this site. My question is is it normal to have sugar settling at the bottom of the carboy? I stirred it in the best that i could before the carboy got to heavy, I just could not get it all to stop from settling. Thanks for replies.

Recipe:
Roughly 6 gallons apple juice
2# dextrose
Lalvin EC 1118 yeast

I plan on adding more dextrose down the road and also back it with something.

Your best bet now is to let it sit; the yeast will find it for fermentation. As I recall, the recipe states to add the sugar in portions to partially emptied bottles of juice and shake it up so it's dissolved into the liquid, then dump into carboy. That way it's mixed and aerated.

It's not very good for the yeast to leave undissolved sugar in there. I never add it directly to the carboy, I just shake it up in the gallon containers of apple juice to dissolve it. A little bit won't hurt though.

Don't add dextrose after it has started fermentation. 2 pounds per 5 gallons makes a very dry, strong apfelwein anyway.

fishops It's not very good for the yeast to leave undissolved sugar in there. I never add it directly to the carboy, I just shake it up in the gallon containers of apple juice to dissolve it. A little bit won't hurt though.

Don't add dextrose after it has started fermentation. 2 pounds per 5 gallons makes a very dry, strong apfelwein anyway.

Any reasons on not adding dextrose after initial fermentation has begun? I understand that it will definitely dry it up further, but I have added it along with concentrate throughout the primary and secondary and have had good results. Now, I guess one could say that the concentrate helped add some apple sweetness to balance out the feremented-out dextrose, so that have played a part in the successful outcome.

I just looked at the carboy and there seems to be a krausen covering about half of the top of the surface. Is this alright? They is also yeast suspended in the middle and some sugar sitting at the bottom. Hope it all ferments out.

It'll all ferment out, and there's nothing wrong with adding fermentables later if theyare are added properly.

I just looked at the carboy and there seems to be a krausen covering about half of the top of the surface. Is this alright? They is also yeast suspended in the middle and some sugar sitting at the bottom. Hope it all ferments out.

it's fine.

EC-1118 is a tough and agressive strain, you'll have no problems.

next time add the sugar to a bit of juice and warm it up on the stove (DO NOT BOIL) to facilitate disolving, cool to room temp, ad to the carboy, add your nutrient, and pour in the rest of the juice, shaken agressively in each bottle - AND add it in such a way you get lots of splash to help arate.

Back