First batch in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGBC

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch (partial-mash, IPA) 5 days ago with a friend and as of this morning the fermentation has slowed and things are starting to settle.

Other than a few minor hiccups that can be ironed out in the next brew, everything got into the primary without issue. I checked this forum too late though, and we didn't use any temperature control during fermentation. We got it down to ~70 before pitching, but the thermometer on the carboy has been reading between 72-78 since fermentation started.

I've seen posts about off flavors resulting from warm fermentation, but a) what type of flavors should we expect? and b) is there anything that can be done now other than wait?

The recipe says leave it 1-2 weeks in the primary before bottling, but should we give it more (or less??) time considering the fermentation temp?

Thanks.

If you used a typical american ale yeast for your IPA, you might not notice any off flavors at all. They tend to ferment pretty cleanly over a wide range of temps.

Some common results of a higher fermentation temps are sharp "alcohol" flavors and ester/fruity notes.

One real plus is that american IPA's tend to be pretty forgiving. The yeast doesn't tend to get too crazy and the high hopping rates tend to hide minor flaws anyway.

High fermentation temps can cause off flavors. Depending on the yeast and the style of beer they may or may not be very noticeable. Because you are 5 days in, your beer is close to being done fermenting so there is not much you can do at this time. You can try cooling it down in a swamp cooler or move it to a cooler area. This may help the yeasties finish up the beer. My recommendation is to not worry too much about it. Let the beer finish, bottle it and let it carb up nice and most likely you will have a very drinkable beer.

I ferment my ales at around 64-68 degrees ambient temperature in my basement. The temperature in my basement tends to hold fairly steady. I also chill my wort to 60-62 degrees and then pitch my yeast and let it warm up to 64-68.

If you do not have an area that is cool enough you may have to consider some sort of fermentation chamber that will allow you to have good control over your fermentation temps. Controlling your fermentation temps is important in making great beer.

I like to leave my beers in primary for 3 - 4 weeks. Typically if it is an IPA I will do 3 weeks in primary and 1 week dryhop in primary for a total of 4 weeks, then 2-3 weeks in the bottle and you should be ready to go. I find my IPA's are best between 6 and 8 weeks. I know you are in a hurry to drink your first batch but if you have the patience to wait it till that 6-8 week mark you will be rewarded with a beer that is ready to drink.

Also I forgot it was an IPA and Hops will cover alot of off flavors so you probably wont even notice any off flavors.

Something else you can do to improve fermentation if using liquid yeast is to make a yeast starter. Pitching the proper amount of yeast is another important step to improving your fermentation. A great resource for yeast pitch rates is www.mrmalty.com.

RDWHAHB and welcome to the obsession.

In general, beer flavor tends to come from the three basic sources: yeast, malt, and hops. All of it matters and other things will affect your flavors as well, but if you’r dominating in one of the areas, the others matter less.

The hop note on some hot fermenting Belgian beer is important, but not as much as the yeast, and not even close to as important when you’re doing and IPA. The inverse is true when you’re doing an IPA. You might get some tangy esters from the warm fermenting yeast, but they aren’ t going to be very noticeable compared with the hop flavors in that beer.

Furthermore, some yeasts are more sensitive than others. What yeast did you use?

Another question on this batch...Due to Hurricane Sandy, this fermenter is now sitting in an unheated apt (no power or water either). With temps dropping into the 40s (maybe 50 in the apt?), will the yeast still be good to go when we do get around to bottling it (maybe next weekend, which will be 3 weeks in primary)?

I know most of the fermentation is done, and it's not like we really have a choice at this point, but wondering if the delay plus the cold temps will impact the end result. Thanks!

Not really. Save for the yeast going dormant if temps go down below the yeasts minimum active temp. Then you'd have to swirl up some yeast off the bottom & warm it up to get them active again to finish up. For now,at least cover it with a blanket or old coat.

Back