First batch ever, foamed like crazy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarvMoney

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of homebrew and tried my first bottle tonight. It's only been bottled for a week. I opened it up and half the bottle foamed out as soon as I popped the top. It was in my garage, not the fridge. Thoughts?

might be a little cold ,a bit of it might of frozen or you mixed the sediment at the bottom, yeast. and that foamed all that stuff up

Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply. Wasn't frozen, that's for sure. I tried later to put a bottle in the fridge. That one opened just fine. It was the non-cold bottle that just started foaming and blew all the sediment, and half the beer, right out.

how much priming sugar did you use when you bottled..might of been over carbed. Well how did it taste?:mug:

I have a different take on this one. I believe that the beer was too warm for the CO2 to stay in solution. Had the beer been cold I don't think it would foam up as bad. As the temperature of your beer goes down, the absorbtion rate of CO2 goes up. Try putting any beer you plan to drink in the fridge for a day before drinking it, I think this will take care of your problem. Good luck Paul

I used a kit, so I added the packet to 2 cups of water. Hopefully Paulinuke is right. I'll stick another bottle in the fridge and try it again tonight. Thanks for the help.....and it tasted pretty good....the little bit I ended up with!

I had the same condition tonight ans was going to ask the same question.

I just opened a bottle of my second brew every - a lovely stout that taste super. Like my first brew - a bitter - I am sampling a bottle at the two week point on bottling. Both at this time mark foamed out of the bottle when opened.

Is this normal at the 2 week mark? My bitter calmed right down after a few more weeks in the bottles.

No, that's not really normal. You can try chilling them down for a week before opening, so that the co2 dissolves into the beer. My guess is that either you bottled too early, or didn't mix the priming solution well into the beer.

Both of mine were opened at basement temperature as I favor a warmer temperature to my beer.

Next ones will be chilled first and then allowed to warm up before opening.

As a follow up. My second batch turned out fine. I'm pretty sure it was too cold in my garage for the bottles. I think the primer sugar gathered at the bottom and hardened a little.

So after reading more, looks like room temp is the best bet for at least three weeks.

ooooo...I never chill my beer...cold liquids are hard on the body...I keep my beer in the basement. My "Eat yer heart out Guiness" stout is fine room temp. And the "Not so Robust" porter is too. The 5.5 percent English Ale is great floor temp and the Smoked is only used for cooking.

Back