First Batch...did I destroy it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthWoods

Reaction score
Made my first batch a month ago, a Winexpert Pinot Grigio Kit. Followed all directions to a T. Except when bottling.

I wasn't patient enough with the corks. I couldn't cork my bottles with dry corks, so I saw somewhere I should throw them in a bowl of warm water( medium size mixing bowl) with some sodium metabisulfite. I didn't measure my water and threw in 2 spoonfuls of sodium metabisulfite. I haven't tried the wine yet but I'm starting to get concerned I might of ruined it.

Did I add too much metabisulphite to the corks? Will this spoil my batch?

Cannot think that the corks soaked in K-Meta will spoil the wine but it is better to cork with dry corks. what many folk do is place their corks in a colander above a container with solution of K-meta and have the gas sanitize the corks. Banging home a dry cork into the neck of the bottle makes for a better seal.

Cannot think that the corks soaked in K-Meta will spoil the wine but it is better to cork with dry corks. what many folk do is place their corks in a colander above a container with solution of K-meta and have the gas sanitize the corks. Banging home a dry cork into the neck of the bottle makes for a better seal.

Sodium the same effect as Potassium?

Otherwise I will keep that in mind in the future! Thank you

The action you are concerned about is produced by the Meta-bisulfite end of that molecule. The K (or Na) side is good before you pitch the yeast as both Na and K provide the yeast with beneficial minerals. It won't have any impact on your corks. The Meta side produces the sulfites that act as a bactericide.

The action you are concerned about is produced by the Meta-bisulfite end of that molecule. The K (or Na) side is good before you pitch the yeast as both Na and K provide the yeast with beneficial minerals. It won't have any impact on your corks. The Meta side produces the sulfites that act as a bactericide.

Got it, thank you for your help!

Looking back at this earlier, I may not have been clear about my questions.

I'd like to know if the wine is SAFE to drink? The added spoonfuls of metabisulphate to water with the corks has me worried there may be too high of levels of the meta to be safe to drink?

Back